Bug? No Log output

Discussion in 'B4R Bugs & Wishlist' started by JanG, Dec 20, 2017.

  1. JanG

    JanG Member Licensed User

    After some month the log output on the ide doesn't work:

    1. Developing a sketch with arduino IDE 1.8.5
    => Log on Serial monitor works as expected.

    2. Developing on b4r, no log output on b4r ide.
    => The log output on the arduino IDE serial monitor does work.

    Any ideas?
     
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  2. Peter Simpson

    Peter Simpson Expert Licensed User

    Double check your board rates and the board settings in B4R...
     
  3. JanG

    JanG Member Licensed User

    I did! This doesn't seem to be the problem. b4r sketch on b4r ide: no logs. Same sketch, same rates: on arduino IDE serial monitor: everything fine.
     
  4. Erel

    Erel Administrator Staff Member Licensed User

    Are you sure that Arduino IDE is not locking the port? Try to restart the computer and test it.
     
  5. JanG

    JanG Member Licensed User

    Yes.

    New test:
    1. Fresh restarted windows.
    2. Only B4R started (no arduino IDE).
    3. Using this program for testing log:
    Code:
    #Region Project Attributes
        
    #AutoFlushLogs: True
        
    #CheckArrayBounds: True
        
    #StackBufferSize: 300
    #End Region

    Sub Process_Globals
        
    'These global variables will be declared once when the application starts.
        'Public variables can be accessed from all modules.
        Public Serial1 As Serial
    End Sub

    Private Sub AppStart
        Serial1.Initialize(
    115200)
        Delay(
    1000)
        
    Log("AppStart")
    End Sub
    4. Output of b4r:
    upload_2017-12-21_11-33-8.png
    5. Disconnecting b4r, connecting Arduino IDE serial monitor. Reseting ESP8266, output:
    upload_2017-12-21_11-36-36.png

    My configuration:
    - Windows 8.1 64 Bit
    - Arduino IDE 1.8.5
    - B4R 2.20
    - Board Setup:
    upload_2017-12-21_11-45-4.png

    On my Laptop I have the same problem (months ago). But with the same configuration on my "normal" computer I didn't have this problems. "Same configuration" is not true, maybe it was b4r 1.8.

    New ideas?
     

    Attached Files:

  6. Erel

    Erel Administrator Staff Member Licensed User

  7. JanG

    JanG Member Licensed User

    Doesn't work, too. b4r connects to Serial Connector. When resetting the ESP8266 I see the bad characters in the connector. But I don't see "AppStarted"... Very annoying :(
    a) Serial monitor:
    upload_2017-12-21_12-30-34.png
    b) Arduino IDE:
    upload_2017-12-21_12-31-48.png

    Why? What can I do?
     
  8. JanG

    JanG Member Licensed User

    I tried the small terminal programm "Termite". It shows the data "AppStart". So it must be a problem of b4r or one of its components. The interesting thing is that the b4j-App "serial connector" doesn't work, too. So what kind of shared component do this two applications use that others (like arduino ide, termite) do not use?
     
  9. Erel

    Erel Administrator Staff Member Licensed User

    Both are based on the same Java library (jssc). I'm not sure why it doesn't work for you.

    Reinstalling the driver might help.
     
  10. JanG

    JanG Member Licensed User

    I reinstalled java. I reinstalled the arduino IDE. I reinstalled the driver. No success...

    I don't know what to do now. b4r quite unusable... :(
     
  11. Erel

    Erel Administrator Staff Member Licensed User

    You can use an external logger though it will require starting and stopping it each time.
     
  12. JanG

    JanG Member Licensed User

    Yes, that's my workaround. But it kills the great usability of the b4r ide. No better solution?
     
  13. Erel

    Erel Administrator Staff Member Licensed User

    I'm afraid no. You can test it on a different computer or test it with this computer and a different board.

    Many developers use B4R with ESP8266 and it usually works properly.
     
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    Peter Simpson likes this.
  14. JanG

    JanG Member Licensed User

    I think I isolated the problem:
    It's not an issue with the specific device. It's because I wired Pin RX. When I diswire this Pin the logging in b4x works. So I ask if you can change your internal code that a wired RX (or TX) is not a problem. In my opinion it is possible beacuse for other tools a wired RX is not a problem (as shown).
     
Loading...