Notification from ControlsExDevice

RacingDog

Licensed User
Anybody still around who can help me please?

I've tried this on a few devices with no joy. After a considerable break, I've been looking at it again....

No real need to understand the code, just the few lines that reference the object Notify a Notification instance.

Background :- The basic idea is a small table creator program creates a table of medicines to take at specified hours and saves it as a csv. It then figures the first time coming up when a medicine is required and schedules an alert program to run at that time. This alert program creates a Notification based on the table column for the currect hour. It then reschedules itself for the next needed hour.

Presume I've had message boxes pretty well everywhere so I know there is nothing wrong the main logic, times, strings and data. Every thing seems to work. All the external references (icons etc) are correct.....

And yet, the Notification does not appear on any of the devices I've tried. So, it seems I've done something stupid with my Notify object, which is why I said don't waste time on the main details, just look at the few lines that reference that object and see if anything hits you please. If not well never mind!

The file should be a .sbp not .bas, but you seem to have left that extension from the allowed upload list!

P.S. Hi guys, been a while, still cheerfully in remission, so no worries as they say in Australia!

Attachments

• MedicineReminderAlert Notify.bas
    3.4 KB · Views: 284

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The structure of your program is the problem. Without a Form.Show in AppStart the message loop for your program does not get started and so when AppStart ends there is no message loop to pump, no Form to show and the program closes immediately before the Notification has time to be shown.

RacingDog

Licensed User
The structure of your program is the problem. Without a Form.Show in AppStart the message loop for your program does not get started and so when AppStart ends there is no message loop to pump, no Form to show and the program closes immediately before the Notification has time to be shown.

Hi, Graham, hope you're keeping well.

Ta for that, but that destroys the whole point of using a notification, to have a program working invisibly in the background, just like the system programs that use notifications. Oh well, back to more boring solutions then (message boxes work before the program ends for instance).

Damn, I remember reading that when I first started using this, but it's so automatic to do it that you forget the consequences. Could be "early onset" of course!

Oh hang on a tick, maybe I'll try that but see how small a form I can have, as in easily miss-able to the casual observer. If I don't report back very soon it will be because that failed too!

RacingDog

Licensed User
Ah, I see, Height and Width are read only, never looked at those before, guess most people don't.

Message boxes it is then!