Now I know what I want (but won't get) for Christmas!

MikeH

Licensed User
Longtime User
"... Windows 10 S, the version of Windows 10 that's only able to install and run apps from the Microsoft Store"

Somewhat limiting eh?

MikeH

Licensed User
Longtime User
Keep on reading, upgrade to win10Pro free and possibility to install non-store apps
I wonder why they dont just ship with Win10Pro then?

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I guess because "normal" users don't even know win10 exists in several versions... They just use what it came with

MikeH

Licensed User
Longtime User
And theres more... "these systems aren't due to ship until Spring 2018". So CableGuy, maybe not under the tree this year but maybe next year?

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hum... My birthday is in June...
Time to create a big-buck-getter software using b4x

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Because of the size, at least of the two systems released so far, I think I would trade the battery life for processing power and keep my Surface Pros.

However, I've waited years for a portable PC like this https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...ED95EEB94BA6BFA5DCA8ED95EEB94BA6BFA&FORM=VIRE

64bit CPU, Windows 10 Home 64bit, 8GB Ram and 128GB 'disk'. That's going to be my Xmas present to me and it's already on its way from China :)

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Honestly, I cannot see that replacing my Surface 4 Pro.
Assuming you are meaning the GPD Pocket, and not the Windows on ARM machines, I see it as an companion to my Surface Pro 4, not a replacement. I will take it to places where to use a Surface Pro 4 would be a bit impractical, like a packed hospital outpatients department (happening more often as we get older :(), and play with Basic4ppc or write a bit of C# with Sharp Develop to while away the time.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Because of the size, at least of the two systems released so far, I think I would trade the battery life for processing power and keep my Surface Pros.

However, I've waited years for a portable PC like this https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...ED95EEB94BA6BFA5DCA8ED95EEB94BA6BFA&FORM=VIRE

64bit CPU, Windows 10 Home 64bit, 8GB Ram and 128GB 'disk'. That's going to be my Xmas present to me and it's already on its way from China :)
Years (read decades) ago I bought this directly from Belgium

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Vaio_C1_series

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
My present from me, to me, this year it's an Anet A8 3D printer. It comes in kit form and typically most people start by printing upgrades to improve the basic setup. Guess what I'll be doing this Christmas ;)

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My present from me, to me, this year it's an Anet A8 3D printer. It comes in kit form and typically most people start by printing upgrades to improve the basic setup. Guess what I'll be doing this Christmas ;)
dahm, you are always 2 steps ahead of me Alan!

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

wow, i like it a lot. what is the price?

EDIT: ok, found it. +/- 520$

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
EDIT: In reply to Cableguy's earlier post (not the GPD pricing)...

I bought from gear best.... https://uk.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_337314.html
Looks like it's currently €151 with free shipping to France! Have I got your interest??? :D

I bought mine for £106 in the black Friday sales and with shipping it still came in at under £115. Can't wait to start tinkering!

Be aware that this comes in kit form and one of the first upgrades that is highly, highly recommended is to put the nozzle heater on its own MOSFET. This prolongs the life of the motherboard and improves cooling of the MOSFET.

The reason for the purchase is that next year I'm wanting to build a motion simulator for my pc racing games. I've already slowly started acquiring many of the parts.

Maybe I could even use B4A or B4R in part of its design. I'm thinking of maybe a custom instrument panel. :cool:

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I had it lined up for my last birthday, then my car broke, had it lined up for this Christmas, but my father in law passed away and we had to make an extra voyage France-Portugal-France... Maybe next birthday...

MikeH

Licensed User
Longtime User
3D printers are very interesting (I have the Anet A6) but also VERY time consuming. It would be a good idea to start learning Fusion360 for the modelling in readiness for that day.