NSBasic versus Basic4ppc

ceaser

Licensed User
:sign0085:

Hi All

I have developed a Land and Engineering surveying program for the handhelds using NSBasic. Can anybody enlighten me on the speed difference between a complied Basic4ppc program and the same program complied in NSBasic?

I have started using Basic4ppc and enjoy it much more than NSBasic, I am just worried about the processing speed difference, because of the large number crunching routines in the program.

Thanks
Michael

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Can anybody enlighten me on the speed difference between a complied Basic4ppc program and the same program complied in NSBasic?
Presumably you are trying the demo of Basic4PPC. How does the performance of the demo compare with NSBasic?

It is more than a year since I tried NSBasic and didn't like it at all. It was (I assume it still is) based on using the VBScript engine. As such I would expect that legacy compiled B4PPC (a bytecode interpreted environment) would be of the same order of performance as NSBasic and optimised compiled B4PPC would be rather better. If necessary you can achieve full native speed for maths in an optimised compiled B4PPC app by bypassing the normal weak typing and using array variables declared as doubles.

I actually bought NSBasic and then abandoned it for B4PPC!