Android Question OCR Offline on screen

Shivito1

Licensed User
I would like to use OCR for reading embedded subtitles. I found a lot of great camera OCR but, was unable to adapt it for on-screen detection. I searched quite a bit but not finding exactly what I need.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced :)

Shivito1

Licensed User
Thanks for all the help. I might actually find the time to work on it today. this hobby is very time consuming.

Upvote 0

Shivito1

Licensed User
The first thing to do is to find a way to make a screenshot with your app (sourcecode for that can be found in the forum) This is probably easier to do when the TV stream is played with a video stream player embedded in your project.
You will need to get hold of the stream for each station (often m3u8 types of files or starting with rtmp:// or rtsp://)
I expect that you will need to take screenshots about every second.

If you play the TV streams with an external player (other app), then I doubt that Android will allow you to capture that screen (because such configurations might be construed as spyware). I am planning to experiment with that myself (putting the screenshot routine in a service) because I want to make a subtitle reader for my blind clients.

As OCR solution I suggest you take a look at the OCR project(s) by Johan Schoemann. OCR uses a lot op processor power. I am not sure whether the OCR will be able to keep up with the refresh of new subtitle lines. The whole OCR process should be faster than analysing one TV screenshot about every 2 seconds...
I checked out your suggestion. https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/ocr-ocr-reader-complete.70659/#content
I don't see a way to pass a screen shot through the OCR.

Upvote 0

Shivito1

Licensed User
Upvote 0

Johan Schoeman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0