Games One game a month! personal challenge

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
I've become very lazy on my game dev work. I set targets, then miss them.

So now I set a new goal one game a month.

The plan is to work on games that are retro remakes of old arcade games. I have five or six designs ready to work on, so I could one game a month till Christmas.

the latest drama with the Play store messing up the similar apps section has really hit my downloads hard and also my confidence. Life was great, but now my downloads have bombed, so I feel very down about the whole thing.

But now I'm setting the challenge. Feel free to join me.

I'm using the LibGDX library for this, but will take a look at Erels new GUI cross platform code when he releases it.

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
...hit my downloads hard and also my confidence ...so I feel very down about the whole thing.

But now I'm setting the challenge. Feel free to join me.
Maybe I did not understand, are you throwing a challenge to those who feel worse?
Should we join you in feeling down?

And if I felt more discouraged, what would I win?

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Just a quick update, expect my first game from this challenge very soon, it's kind of cheating as it's "yet another space invaders clone", but it's called "Many Mini Invaders" so there's load of aliens, multiple saucers at once, and many more bullets and bombs flying around the screen.
I may do a vote for the next game to work on, right now it's:
  1. Missile Command
  2. Asteroids
  3. Frogger
  4. Pacman
  5. Defender
  6. Robotron

I'd love to also work on remakes of Paperboy, Battlezone, Rally X, Donkey Kong, Karate Champ, Pole Position.

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I like the ambition, go go go! Looking forward to following your progress and trying the games!

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Maybe I did not understand, are you throwing a challenge to those who feel worse?
Should we join you in feeling down?

And if I felt more discouraged, what would I win?

Haha, yeah, probably came out wrong. No, it's just me telling myself to pull myself together and get one with things. And if any other B4A programmers feel similar, then go for it. IT still feels like there's a lack of games made in B4A that show off what can be done, so anything to increase that number would be good.

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Haha, yeah, probably came out wrong. No, it's just me telling myself to pull myself together and get one with things. And if any other B4A programmers feel similar, then go for it. IT still feels like there's a lack of games made in B4A that show off what can be done, so anything to increase that number would be good.
Too bad because I would have won if the race was to "feel worse".

In any case, they are not complicated games to make, and in a month or maybe less. They do not have thousands levels to design as Candy crashes.

The only reason that could give rise to some doubt about the Arcade games of the past and the one that you have already expressed, there are too many and then send a month to make a product that would be downloaded little.

For games that can be achieved both with libgdx but also with the new features of the XUI, or with the XUI2D library that will be released soon by Erel.

but my question is this, would it be wise to use all the cost to make a game that does not have much hope of success or will it be better to go to sea?

As negativity I have already beaten you

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for the replies Stardust, I'm fine for you to beat me on negativity, my goal is optimism and success.

I understand that I will likely get few downloads for each game, but the idea is that if one in five does well, then it's worth it, making a load of games rather than one is like spread betting, you release a number of games and hope one does well. MY space invaders game now has over 400k downloads so I know it's possible.
Also, I know there's many clones already out there, but most are terrible and have awful controls. So it's not hard to release something better.

I'm sticking with the following rules.

1. Simple sound effects
  2. Simple graphics (maybe just shapes)
  3. Google play high score table
  4. Simple achievements
  5. IAP to remove ads
  6. Simple easy controls
  7. Cross promote to my other games to help with downloads

I still want to make a living from games, so the ads are needed I'm afraid.

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Ok i have just finshed a project i worked on it for few months so i am again in "game making mood" and i also want to make a retro remake pixel game.

I am not sure if just to use the concept but with different sprites and modern game play or keep the same game with small changes...

Any idea what to do?

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Go to sea with your laptop and make games :) (option #3)
Games are not good for me. Above all, the graphics are ugly

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
U dont play games ar all?
Yes, I play when I have to discharge voltage.
But not with my games, otherwise I would be more angry:p

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

Dabzy1978

Licensed User
Good luck on the little challenge me auld fruit! :)

I couldn't be chewed personally, lol, I'd think it would be a great idea, get a week in, then just end up watching dogs being silly on youTube! ;)

*closes youtube tab and returns to the IDE*

Dabz