Android Question Open Google TTS options to download voice data

rraswisak

Licensed User
Hi all,

I'm trying text to speech example from Erel's tutorial here, the voice came out for local and English language, but when select other language no voice heard, i notice that voice engine for selected voice did not available or i can say its not installed yet which mean we must add/install manually.

So the question is, how we/app can directly open Google TTS options setting through code without manually opening google setting ?

Thank you

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
Don't know; good luck with that. Wild guess would be: use Intent?

Presumably your app user would only be using the local language anyway, which would already be installed. Perhaps you are solving a problem that only a small percentage of your users will have.

Then again, I have a vague recollection of enjoying a variety of accents when I used TTS six months ago, and I doubt that I installed those language packs or anything, so... I'll have a look at what I did there. But everything was in English, just spoken with the accent of a different language. Or maybe it was of a different country, which is not quite the same thing.

Upvote 0

jimmyF

Licensed User
Longtime User
how we/app can directly open Google TTS options setting through code

This works for me:
B4X:
 Dim i As Intent
 i.Initialize("com.android.settings.TTS_SETTINGS", "")
 StartActivity(i)

Upvote 0

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
I doubt that I installed those language packs or anything
I just tried using a language that is not installed, and it used the default language instead. So I must have installed the data in my sleep ;-)

If JimmyF's Intent method works, that would be the way to go. With a bit of luck, most of your users will already have the language installed that they need, but it's good of you to prepare things for if they don't.

:)

Upvote 0