Open source 'facetime'? Ekiga? phone-to-phone video?

Frank R. Nichols

Licensed User
Longtime User
Love b4a so far.
Advice please:
I wish to pursue any of several options listed here, or get any similar function between 2 phones.
1. Is it possible to use b4a library to support video/audio between 2 'Droid phones?
2. How about 1-way only, from phone A's camera/mic, showing on phone B?
(I have fixed-IP server available if necessary.)
3. How about "Intent" launching 3rd party app which already acts like Skype between 2 'droid phones?

Thanks.

Frank R. Nichols

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you, Erel.
I feel honored to have received your attention on this.
I'm a happy camper who, so far, has been able to execute every task successfully as I've tried to learn Basic4Android. Love the resouces.

As to my camera question. I think I understand the posts you've referred to, but in a perfect world, I want to go one further - e.g. audio too.

My Samsung Galaxy Note-2 will run two apps simultaneously - so if I could pre-connect two phones with Qic Video, or Tango, or some such 3rd party Audio+Video - already connected, already displaying audio and video from phone 'A' (in my original post) on the screen and speaker of phone 'B' (which is running my new b4a application) - and my app would control the visibility of 'Tango' (or other 3rd party app) to a user who clicks a button in MY app.

Recap.Summary of my vision:
1. I have a 'droid phone (A) at a remote location
2. I have another phone (B) in my hand running a new b4a application
3. From "intent" in my new b4a application, I launch 'Tango' (or other 3rd party app) which connects to remote phone (A) (also running 'Tango')
4. My new b4a application then 'hides' 'Tango' until I click a button on my local phone (B)
5. My new b4a application then shows 'Tango', streaming audio and video from phone (A) which was already connected.

Impossible?

(just a hint and I can work out the details using your excellent reference materials)

Thanks !

Upvote 0

Frank R. Nichols

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you, Erel.
I feel honored to have received your attention on this.
I'm a happy camper who, so far, has been able to execute every task successfully as I've tried to learn Basic4Android. Love the resouces.

As to my camera question. I think I understand the posts you've referred to, but in a perfect world, I want to go one further - e.g. audio too.

My Samsung Galaxy Note-2 will run two apps simultaneously - so if I could pre-connect two phones with Qic Video, or Tango, or some such 3rd party Audio+Video - already connected, already displaying audio and video from phone 'A' (in my original post) on the screen and speaker of phone 'B' (which is running my new b4a application) - and my app would control the visibility of 'Tango' (or other 3rd party app) to a user who clicks a button in MY app.

Recap.Summary of my vision:
1. I have a 'droid phone (A) at a remote location
2. I have another phone (B) in my hand running a new b4a application
3. From "intent" in my new b4a application, I launch 'Tango' (or other 3rd party app) which connects to remote phone (A) (also running 'Tango')
4. My new b4a application then 'hides' 'Tango' until I click a button on my local phone (B)
5. My new b4a application then shows 'Tango', streaming audio and video from phone (A) which was already connected.

Impossible?

(just a hint and I can work out the details using your excellent reference materials)

Thanks !
More on my poor effort.
(forgive me that I don't yet know how to quote 'code' on this BB)
When I try:
B4X:
Sub Globals
  Dim yoot As Intent
Sub Activity_Create(FirstTime As Boolean)
  yoot.Initialize(yoot.ACTION_MAIN,"")
  'yoot.SetComponent("com.google.android.youtube/.HomeActivity") ' works fine
' Launches YouTube as advertised in another post! But trying
  yoot.SetComponent("com.sgiggle.production/") ' Fails. Android doesn't know
'how to launch Tango and asks which (service?) to launch with... and if I try
'using "/.HomeActivity" it causes the debugger to hang on StartActivity
'line below.
'
'If I use com.sgiggle.production.Home, I get a toast message error asking
' me to select "Complete Action Using:"
Sub Launcher_click
  StartActivity(yoot)
End Sub
So I'm guessing I need to use some sort of PackageManager inquiry to find out what Tango's ".HomeActivity" equivalent method is?

I discovered the "com.[name]" for my Tango installation using the following:
B4X:
Sub Globals

Dim ListView1 As ListView
  Dim pm As PackageManager
  Dim Packages As List       

End Sub

Sub Activity_Create(FirstTime As Boolean)

Activity.LoadLayout("Main")

Packages = pm.GetInstalledPackages
         For I = 0 To Packages.Size - 1
     ListView1.AddTwoLines2(Packages.Get(I),pm.GetApplicationLabel(Packages.Get(I)),Packages.Get(I))
         Next
End Sub
(Thanks to two other posts for this snippet)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NJDude

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If you are trying to start Tango, then you need to replace this line:

B4X:
yoot.SetComponent("com.sgiggle.production/")
To:
B4X:
yoot.SetComponent("com.sgiggle.production/com.sgiggle.production.TabActivityBase")

Last edited:
Upvote 0