Optimizing Compiler Error?

Discussion in 'Questions (Windows Mobile)' started by Louis, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Louis

Louis Active Member Licensed User

Hi. Without reverting to the nonoptimizing compiler, how can I use dlls that do not have .cs files within the libraries folder, and, that are in another location with my Source Code? Thanks.

2. agraham

agraham Expert Licensed User

Just add them as a component and they will be copied to your app directory then distribute them with your compiled exe. If they are not merged they will be loaded at runtime.

3. Louis

Hi. When I do add a library as a component, or load a Basic4ppc Source file containing components, then compile, the external compiler complains that the file is a binary file and not a text file. No .exe is produced. Maybe the dll I am linking with is a common one like the HTTP.dll so it wants to import the c# source and it isn't available in the location I have my project and ,dlls?b

4. agraham

The presence or absence of the source is irrelevant when adding a component. Only the optimising compiler cares about whether source is available. It looks like the library you are trying to add might be a native dll, not a .NET assembly although the error I would expect is "The module was expected to contain an assembly manifest"

EDIT:- I've just reread your last post more carefully so ignore the above. Does the app run in the IDE with this library? It doesn't matter whether the dll is a "common" one or not. There is no list of libraries that must have the source available, if the source is there it is used, if not then the dll is needed at runtime. What is this library you are trying to use?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  5. Louis

Hi Agraham, It is the HTTP.dll library for a game I wrote with an earlier version of Basic4ppc using my Pocket PC. When I try to compile this project with the opttimizing compiler, I get an error saying that http.dll is not a text file, but a binary file. No executable is created. The Source to the HTTP library is in my c:\program Files\Anywhere Software\Basic4ppc Desktop\Libraries folder, but is not present in my Basic4ppc project folder. However the nonoptimizing compiler works fine. Could it be that maybe the HTTP.dll component used by this game isBB old? HTH.

6. agraham

You never need the source in your project folder. I assume you mean the HTTP.dll library that comes with B4ppc. Have you copied the latest version of HTTP.dll to your project folder. If you are trying to use an old version of the library that might be the problem.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  7. Louis

Hi Erel or Agraham, I am still getting this error when using B4PPC'S HTTP.dll library with Basic4ppc version 6.5. How can I fix this without reverting to the nonoptimizing compiler? The HTTP.cs file is present in my c:\program files\anywhere software\basic4ppc desktop\libraries folder. Even when I move my modules and B4PPC source to the libraries folder I still get the error. HTH.

8. agraham

Can you post a zip of your project directory. And also the file 1.rsp copied immediately after a failed compile from
    either

"C:\ProgramData\Anywhere Software\Basic4ppc\6.0.0.0\Tzor" - Vista

or

"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Anywhere Software\Basic4ppc\6.0.0.0\Tzor" - XP

9. Louis

Hi. It happens with any project that uses the HTTP library, and only this library. All I do is add the components to both the desktop and device and when I compile the csc compiler says that HTTP.dll is a binary file, not a text file. Are you sure a project directory will help, if it does it with all projects that include the HTTP library? If so, let me know and I'll post one. HTH.

10. Louis

Hi! It is now working. It seems I forgot a desktop reference. LOL.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice