Android Question OSMDroid 4.1 tutorial or porting guide

rossco_pb

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi folks, I am attempting to migrate my offline map app that was originally coded with OSMDroid 3.08 to OSMDroid 4.1 There are quite a few differences and I am struggling to find information on the specifics, especially creation and handling of Overlays. Any pointers appreciated ;-)

warwound

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'd say to first unselect the version 3.0.8 lib and select the version 4.1, the IDE should report some compiler errors.

Now look at the documentation for 3.0.8 and 4.1.
Look for objects in 3.0.8 that have had their names changed in 4.1 - change these in your b4a project.

What compiler errors now remain?
Post with those errors and i'll try to help more.

Upvote 0

rossco_pb

Licensed User
Longtime User
unselect the version 3.0.8 lib and select the version 4.1
Now look at the documentation for 3.0.8 and 4.1.
Look for objects in 3.0.8 that have had their names changed in 4.1 - change these in your b4a project.

Yep, been through that process and working through changing names and trying to get a handle on the different methods that are used. Was hoping there might have been a guide but no drama, will work my way through it and let you know if I get really stuck. The 4.1 doco looks useful ;-)

Only reason I want to try 4.1 is in the hope it will resolve the Tiles not updating problem that is apparent with 3.0.8, ie for some unknown reason the odd tile or two (or more) show grey (I note other people have this issue as well) and also that there might be options re tile expiry to save them ever having to reload - have tried modifying the mod date on the tile files but this is problematic with some Android implementations (separate discussion).

Really appreciate the effort you have gone to providing the OSMDroid libs and doco - both versions :)

Upvote 0