Please help test this program

willisgt

Licensed User
I've been toying with game graphics (in the few spare moments that my schedule allows) and come up with an approach to implementing old-style game graphics. Again, think vintage arcade games like Defender or Lunar Lander.

That being said, I'm asking for some help in evaluating this approach. Those of you who are willing, please test the attached program on whatever PPC device you have, and let me know how well it works.

I am expecting the following:

1.) The game graphics should automatically adjust to the size of your screen, including both QVGA and VGA devices. The program is intended to run in landscape mode; it looks a little odd in portrait. Fixing that will come later.

2.) The game graphics should scroll (relatively) smoothly. You can adjust the turn rate of the tank using the left and right keys; pressing the down key will halt the turn.

My profuse thanks for your help with this.

Gary

:sign0163:

Attachments

• tank.zip
    47 KB · Views: 217

specci48

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi willisgt,

aaahhhh, those were the days... :cool:
The screen definitely reminds me on playing combatzone (aka tankzone) :sign0060:

I've tested you code on my iPAQ rx1950 with WM5. Unfortunately I'll get an OutOfMemoryException in sub _app_start. :(

Just wondering: It is it possible to start both versions on the desktop. The only difference is the form size. Maybe you have not provided a device-compiled .exe?

specci48

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I too got an exception on the device (Axim X30 - WM2003SE) but I don't know what sort - It just said "Exception" . The second and subseqent times it seemed to work OK.

Tip to increase possibly performance. Declare your Var_Tank and Var_Recticle arrays as doubles. This will increase the math performance by stopping a lot of conversions to/from strings although it may be that the graphics work dominates anyway.

Dim Var_Tank(3) As Double
Dim Var_Recticle(15) As Double

willisgt

Licensed User
I've (1) double-checked that tank-ppc.exe was compiled for the device, and tank.exe was compiled for the desktop. I have no idea why both executables will run on the desktop, but it happened for me, too.

(2) I made the changes that Andrew suggested; 'tank' and 'reticle' are now doubles. I haven't observed any boost in performance, but avoiding conversions is always a good thing!

Gary

Attachments

• tank.zip
    48.2 KB · Views: 190

dennishea

Licensed User
Hi willisgt. I have a dell axim x50 520 mhz. Tank on mine fires right up no errors nothing. I don't remember how to put my screen into landscape but it works fine in portrait. I have a audiovox 6700 that I will try it on as soon as I get it to sync with my desktop. Till later have a good one. :)

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have no idea why both executables will run on the desktop, but it happened for me, too.
This is normal. Many compiled device apps will run on the desktop as well as on the device as they are marked .NET "retargetable" and the device environment is usually a sub-set of the desktop. Only device apps that needs device and Compact Framework specific libraries will not run on the desktop.

willisgt

Licensed User
Andrew, it just occurred to me - I didn't post the source code for this program. Yet somehow, you knew the name of two of the arrays.

Everyone on this forum would back me up when I say that you've got talent. But man, you've got to be practicing black magic. Or living on top of some mountain. Just don't start hurling lightning bolts down at us mere mortals, okay?

:sign0082:

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
Works fine on my Axim X51v (VGA screen) and my HTC Kaiser (QVGA screen).
Only difference is the position of the degree markers, on the QVGA they appear under the horizon but on the VGA they appear above.
Both played smoothly with no errors.
Should I have been able to move the crosshairs up/down??

Regards,
RandomCoder

willisgt

Licensed User
The degree markers are actually part of the background image file; at this point, it's not a problem if they appear in odd places. They won't be part of the game, anyway.

The only control I've built in so far is the rate of turn. The targeting reticle will always appear stationary in the middle of the screen.

For some idea of how this is intended to look when it's finished, see this link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghIPGXs3LAo

Absolutely no intention of this being a commercial product. I'm just trying to see if it's possible to build a game like this for PPCs. The game audio will probably be difficult...

Gary

Last edited: