B4J Question Proper use of Boolean expressions in If statements [solved]

Didier9

Licensed User
Longtime User
It seems that the handling of "If <boolean expression> then" is not handled consistently. Actually my observations were made under B4A but I see that form used in B4J code examples as well.

It seems that sometimes "If <boolean expression> then" does not work while "If <boolean expression> = True Then" does work, so I have gotten in the habit of always adding "= True" in the If statements. In the original Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 (which is my background), the first form always works as long as the expression can be converted into a boolean form. Visual Basic will go out of its way to do sometimes unexpected type conversions without as much as a warning.

Looking at the code for B4JPackager, I do see statements like "If Windows Then" where Windows is a Boolean type.

So, what are the rules?

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
What is the code you are successfully hiding which you think it is not working as expected?
Probably you are not using it correctly.

Upvote 0

Didier9

Licensed User
Longtime User
I do not have any handy at the moment, as I said I have been avoiding that construct for some time.
The question really is: what are the rules?

I ran some test. It looks like the tested variable has to be or evaluate to a boolean. It does not work if the variable is an integer, even if the integer contains the value 0 or 1.
That's what confused me because if you run "Dim i as integer: i=0: if i then" Visual Basic will gladly cast the integer into a boolean before doing the test and not complain. B4X does compile but complains (at run time) if the variable is not a boolean type, regardless of the value.

Example: This code:
B4X:
Dim i As Int

i = 0
    If i Then
        Log("True")
    Else
        Log("False")
    End If
compiles but produces this error at run time:
B4X:
Waiting for debugger to connect...
Program started.
Error occurred on line: 18 (Main)
java.lang.RuntimeException: Cannot parse: 0 as boolean
    at anywheresoftware.b4a.BA.parseBoolean(BA.java:341)
    at anywheresoftware.b4a.BA.ObjectToBoolean(BA.java:410)
    at b4j.example.main._appstart(main.java:94)
    at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
    at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
    at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:566)
    at anywheresoftware.b4a.shell.Shell.runMethod(Shell.java:632)
    at anywheresoftware.b4a.shell.Shell.raiseEventImpl(Shell.java:237)
    at anywheresoftware.b4a.shell.Shell.raiseEvent(Shell.java:167)
    at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
    at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
    at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:566)
    at anywheresoftware.b4a.BA.raiseEvent2(BA.java:91)
    at anywheresoftware.b4a.shell.ShellBA.raiseEvent2(ShellBA.java:98)
    at anywheresoftware.b4a.BA.raiseEvent(BA.java:78)
    at b4j.example.main.start(main.java:38)
    at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.lambda$launchApplication1$9(LauncherImpl.java:846)
    at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runAndWait$12(PlatformImpl.java:455)
    at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runLater$10(PlatformImpl.java:428)
    at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runLater$11(PlatformImpl.java:427)
    at javafx.graphics/com.sun.glass.ui.InvokeLaterDispatcher$Future.run(InvokeLaterDispatcher.java:96)
    at javafx.graphics/com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinApplication._runLoop(Native Method)
    at javafx.graphics/com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinApplication.lambda$runLoop$3(WinApplication.java:174)
    at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:834)
where Visual Basic with similar code will run with mostly the expected result.

Sometimes the similarity between Visual Basic and B4X, while generally helpful, can be confusing.

Upvote 0

MarkusR

Licensed User
Longtime User
other languages interpret an integer =0=false and <>0 as true
in your case u must write (i<>0) or make a sub Boolean(value as integer) as Boolean

but i agree the compiler can interpret
If i Then as if i have a value

otherwise i not like automatic type convert. if indeed optional.

this error "Cannot parse: 0 as boolean" should not be at runtime, instead at compile time with incorrect condition.

Last edited:
Upvote 0