Android Question Queries on remote Excel or SQLite database

Paulo Rosa

Licensed User
Hi,

I am about to start working on a new project and I would appreciate any help or suggestions...

I have an encrypted Excel workbook (xls) on my PC that contains two worksheets: one has my financial transactions history; the other contains my accounts balances (bank accounts, credit card accounts).

I have also written VBA code that allows the workbook to export the contents of the two worksheets to two tables in a SQLite database. The database is not encrypted

Both data files, the workbook and the SQLite database are kept on a PC folder synced with my OneDrive account (I am an Office 365 subscriber).

Now I want to develop a B4A app that allows me to browse through the contents of the data file (Excel or SQLite) and eventually make queries (simple queries like "the date I purchased a specific item", for instance).

The first step is to decide whether I should use the Excel version or the SQLite version of the data, since B4A has libraries for both.

The second step would be to choose a way of downloading the data file to the phone.

Of course I can simply use the OneDrive app on my phone and manually download the data file (to the Downloads folder of the phone, for instance), each time I want the app to have the most updated data. That's not an elegant solution, though. On the other side, I am aware that the OneDrive Android app keeps all "offline" files on a local database , which prevent external apps from accessing those files.

Would Firebase be an elegant and also easy to code solution for that? Maybe FireBaseStorage? I know little about Firebase, just start reading about it...

Suggestions will be very appreciated :)

Regards,

Last edited:

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

Paulo Rosa

Licensed User
For querying data I would vote for SQLite. As to access to your db
1) https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/t...rive-and-box-payment-paypal-stripe-poi.71356/
or
2) https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/developer/controls/file-pickers/android/index
Neither is just a "oh it works out of the box" type of answer, but at least it looks like downloading your DB from OneDrive to your app can be done.
Thanks, @OliverA, I'll look carefully both options.

At first glance, I would prefer the second option, Microsoft's Java API for accessing OneDrive in Android. Problem is... I'm not familiar with Java and I just don't have a clue on how to integrate those Java APIs in a B4A project.

Regards,

Upvote 0