Question Re: OpenDialogEx for desktop only

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
Is it possible to use the open dialogue to select a folder rather than a file?
This would present a much more elegant solution than having to use a tree view to select a folder and it's path.

Regards,
RandomCoder

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
Sorry Specci48 but you've mis-interpreted my question.
I would like to select a folder using the OpenDialogueEx control from the desktop only library.
The folder being selected may not have any files within it but I need to get its path. I can use a treeview and the folderchooser example but thats a little long winded compared to the OpenDialogueEx control.

Regards,
RandomCoder

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You can sort of do it with the Door library by stopping the Dialog checking if a file exists and pre-setting a filename. odx is an OpenDialogEx and obj1 is a Door Object.

B4X:
Sub App_Start
   odx.New1
   obj1.New1(false)
   obj1.FromLibrary("odx","ofd",B4PObject(2))
   obj1.SetProperty("CheckFileExists", false)
   obj1.SetProperty("FileName", "_") ' inconspicuous filename
   odx.Show
   f = odx.File
   For i = StrLength(f) - 1 To 0 Step -1
      If StrIndexOf(f, "\",i) > 0 Then
         Exit
      End If
   Next   
   f = SubString(f,0,i)
   Msgbox(f)
End Sub

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks to both of you for your input.
Using the door library is my prefered solution as I already use this library to catch when a USB device has been attached. The in-built windows file open dialogue is much nicer, plus more familar, than having to use the folder chooser example which uses the tree view library and would cause my program to become quite lengthy.

Cheers ;)
RandomCoder

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You could also try this FolderDialog library I've just knocked up which exposes the .NET FolderBrowserDialog control. I will include it, together with a GroupBox for grouping controls, in the next version of ControlsExDesktop.

Attachments

• FolderDialogDemo.zip
    3.2 KB · Views: 207

taximania

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks to both of you for your input.
Using the door library is my prefered solution as I already use this library to catch when a USB device has been attached.

Do you have an example of this ?
And is it possible to rec/tran data with an attached device.

I'm trying to get a microcontroller connected via a usb cabel,
but not succeeding :confused:

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Do you have an example of this ?
It's what I posted here http://www.b4x.com/forum/questions-help-needed/2606-drive-detection.html but it won't help for what you want.

I'm trying to get a microcontroller connected via a usb cabel, but not succeeding :confused:
I've got several Velleman K8055 I/O boards talking to a C# app interfaced via a C# HID library that I wrote. I've also written a wrapper for the library to suit B4ppc but I've not yet tested it. The Velleman boards use an Arizona PIC16C745-IP that is programmed to act as an HID (Human Interface Device) device. Many cheap USB peripherals are HID devices as Windows has its own HID driver (for keyboards, mice etc) so it avoids having to write a custom USB driver which can get quite messy. If your USB microcontroller is an HID device then you will need to know the Vendor number and PIDBase number in order to connect to it. You will also need to know whatever protocal it uses to transfer data.

taximania

Licensed User
Longtime User
@agraham

The chip is a microchip pic18F2455.
Microchip supply HID software for the chips. pid etc are all
taken care of, apparently.

All I need are the ppc hid files, and work out how to control the
other pins of the chip from within basic4ppc.

Famous last words . . .

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
@Agraham,

I'ved just downloaded and tried your folderdialogue library but unfortunately it hasn't worked. Is this because my work laptop is still using version 5.8?

Regards,
RandomCoder