Games random or designed levels?

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm writing a new space shooter game and am trying to decide between randomly created levels or designed levels.

The random levels means I will just specify the number of aliens for the level and then the code will randomly generate where the aliens start, and how they move.

Designed levels will mean the same aliens will appear every time you play in the same order, so playing well will mean remembering where the aliens appear and doing the same thing each time, the game "galaga wars" uses designed levels.

I am thinking random levels will be what I use as they will be easier to program but harder to balance the gameplay well.

What do people think on this?

AHilton

Licensed User
Longtime User
As a player, I've always preferred both. The early levels being designed and, thus, predictable once figured out, allows the new players to develop their skills without being too frustrated while experienced players can really cruise through those to get to the harder, 'random' levels quicker.

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
I like that, good idea! I hadn't thought of mixing the two.
I will use that approach as it makes it easier for new players.
Later levels will be random, but will introduce new enemy types. The randomness will affect how the enemies move and how many come on screen at once (as well as when they fire at the player too).

I'll also be playing with some enemy AI too, like having enemies try to avoid the players bullets.