Android Question Rapid Debugger issues

cyiwin

Licensed User
Longtime User
I've been having a few issues with the Rapid debugger and I was wondering if anyone else is seeing them or if it is a problem with my computer maybe. I have these issues with all 3 of my android devices. These problems are happening with both the Apps I'm currently working on. These problems arise about half the time I use the rapid debugger and resetting the computer has no effect.

• Rapid debuggers gets slow, like the original debugger.
  • Rapid debugger sometimes won't stop at the break points, even though I know it went through them because of the logs.
  • While using rapid debugger and it is paused with the yellow highlight, the debugger will randomly quit and my app stops without any B4A error. When I un-check filter in logs I get:

java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException
at anywheresoftware.b4a.shell.Shell.getDebuggerVariable(Shell.java:815)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.shell.Shell.handleIncomingData(Shell.java:187)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.shell.ShellConnector.readControlData(ShellConnector.java:204)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.shell.ShellConnector.connect(ShellConnector.java:185)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.shell.ShellConnector.run(ShellConnector.java:119)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:1096)
Caused by: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException
at anywheresoftware.b4a.objects.collections.Map.debug(Map.java:177)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.shell.Shell.getDebuggerVariable(Shell.java:766)
... 5 more
** Activity (main) Pause, UserClosed = true **
WIN DEATH: Window{3293cb88 hoodedbits.b4a.cryptsyaction/hoodedbits.b4a.cryptsyaction.main paused=true}
WIN DEATH: Window{32922b78 hoodedbits.b4a.cryptsyaction/hoodedbits.b4a.cryptsyaction.main paused=true}
Process hoodedbits.b4a.cryptsyaction (pid 6196) has died.
Scheduling restart of crashed service hoodedbits.b4a.cryptsyaction/anywheresoftware.b4a.samples.httputils2.httputils2service in 5000ms
Not Samsung EMMC
No longer want com.cooliris.media (pid 777): hidden #16
No longer want com.google.android.gm (pid 30065): hidden #17
surfaceCreated
surfaceChanged

Any ideas?

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
1. By default the rapid debugger tries to avoid reinstalling the device code. This means that after you change a sub the debugger will use the "old" method to execute it as the device code is not up to date. If the debugger is slow then you have two options:
- Press on Tools - Clean project and then run it. The latest code will be installed on the device and it will be fast.
- If this slowness is happening too often then you can force the debugger to reinstall the device code each time by setting the following attribute (in the main module):
B4X:
#DebuggerForceFullDeployment: true
This disables the quick deployment feature (green window) and forces a full deployment each time.

The logs you posted are very useful. There is a bug related to the debug output of large Maps. It will be fixed in the next update.

Upvote 0

cyiwin

Licensed User
Longtime User
I tried both suggestions with two different computers and the problem persists. I don't even pause, use break points or change code. It's slow from the start. It even ran slowly from running it for the first time after a Windows reboot. I am converting large JSON strings to maps, maybe that's causing the issues.

Upvote 0

cyiwin

Licensed User
Longtime User
Sure. I'd like to keep the app that the problem is easily reproduced with somewhat secure. What email address I should send to?

Upvote 0

ValDog

Licensed User
Longtime User
I noticed an issue with Labels. I create and set properties with the Designer, but when I run under rapid debug many of the properties set do not take. Works fine under legacy debug. Any advice?

Upvote 0

ValDog

Licensed User
Longtime User
Why have you set it to true then? Did you get any error when it was false (the default value)?

Not sure when that was added, but probably had to do with display of Google Maps functionality. If I set it to False, Google Maps crashes. Seems odd right now, but my original issue with Label properties appears to have gone away. Go figure???

Upvote 0