Raspeberry Pi 2 model B: Building myself a server

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi guys,

So I decided to build myself a Home Server, based on a Raspberry Pi 2 model B, witch packs a 900Mhz Quad-Core CPU as well as 1GB Ram.

I plan to use 4 WD-25 250GB 2,5" SATA HDDs dividing them by planned use:
1 - Private Cloud (OwnCloud?)
2 - Torrent Client (Transmission?)
3 - WebServer (Apache+PHP5?)
4 - KODI aka XMBC

I already have most of the parts, Pi & HDDs included, a nice little box to put them into, so I will be starting the setup during the week, just because I don't have a HDMI compliant TV.

I hope to not come across too much troubles, lol.

Anyway, since I never touched LINUX before, I was wondering, what must I do as first steps to achieve my goal?
- Install OS, obvious, and since my release is form May, I think I don't need to update after install..
- Mount/configure the HDDs (all 4)
- after this I'm not too sure!! Please help!

Last edited:

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't want to spoil your fun but we tried the Pi ourself and were very dissapointed about its speed and stability.

We tried to use it as a cheap thin client to let our users connect to a remote desktop server.

At the end we went for even cheaper Android mini PCs that work a lot better and stable and had stuff like wifi standard on it.

Not sure if a rooted android can do everything you listed there tho.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Well, what made me go with the Rasp.pi was its small form factor, so I'm hopping it will not look too intrusive, plus the ability to handle "large cap" hdds. Even if I can't get all those services working, it will be a very good learning experience I think,.
I'm hopping to get at least the cloud and webserver bits working, so I can have a play with RDC.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
So I decided to only use 2 hdds (250gb x2), which will be partitioned... Should I partition in windows for ease of use or do it from the Raspi??
My Server Case is almost done and coming along very nicely. I'll post some picks later.