Android Question reading magnetic card data using audio jack

Zeev Goldstein

Licensed User
Longtime User
hi,

i am trying to read a credit card magnetic stripe using a reader attached to the audio jack.
i am trying to use the audiorecording lib but i got lost as i need it as a text string not as audio file and only the card's data without any background noise

can any one help?

Zeev Goldstein

Licensed User
Longtime User
Do you have any documentation about the protocol they are using?
no.
it is a simple reader without any kind of encryption.
it plugs into the audio jack.
iphone is using a similar device for long time for the same purpose
i know other android software developers that use it but don't know with what dev tools
i know it creates something like a sound signal that it is than translate to string or something like this
it is a very simple reader as it costs just a few cents... so how complex can it be :)

Upvote 0

warwound

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Has the card reader manufacturer released an android SDK?

I read that the Square card reader has no SDK available.
The Square reader takes the audio input and sends it off to a server where it is processed - no processing of the card data takes place on the device.

There are other card readers though that have an official SDK available, so a b4a library could be created based on the SDK.

Martin.

Upvote 0

Zeev Goldstein

Licensed User
Longtime User
Has the card reader manufacturer released an android SDK?

I read that the Square card reader has no SDK available.
The Square reader takes the audio input and sends it off to a server where it is processed - no processing of the card data takes place on the device.

There are other card readers though that have an official SDK available, so a b4a library could be created based on the SDK.

Martin.

i am not really familliar with the SQUARE device.
but i do know for sure that the reader does not communicate with any one else, i know other developpers that used it in their applications for android. this is not the square reader, it look similar.
i asked the manufatorer and there is no sdk
he said that i should read it as audio and then "just" parse it... yes, just...

Upvote 0

eps

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
So, have you got a file created or not? Are you able to retrieve this and look at it using Notepad++ or similar?

Upvote 0

Zeev Goldstein

Licensed User
Longtime User
no, i did not try as the lib as far as i understood records from the minute i press the record button and stops when i push "stop" so it will actually record all the background noise as well
if i am wrong please correct me
all i need is the mag stripe of the card as a string...
thanks

Upvote 0