Really long-shot question - factory reset mode

canalrun

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,
I have a custom display – it is basically a 1368 x 238 pixel custom display based on Android. It has a PC type USB keyboard and mouse interface. Originally when I powered it up it would say "Starting Android", then launch into a custom program where if I right clicked the mouse it would fall back into the Android interface where I could select an app or enter the settings app.

At one point I had the B4A bridge running on the unit and I was running software written in B4A.

But, I messed it up playing around.

Now when it power on boots it says "Starting Android" then the display goes blank instead of entering the custom program.

I think I need to do a factory reset. There is no documentation for this display – not even a manufacturer's name or part number. There are no buttons or reset button visible.

Is there some secret key combination that might work during boot to force it to go into "Factory Reset" mode. I have tried things like Ctrl-Alt-Del, F11, and power cycling quickly three times. With phones you do something like hold-down the volume button and power button during boot, but there are no external buttons on this thing.

Anyone have any guesses?

Thanks,
Barry.

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Where did you get it? Perhaps the supplier can help, at least with a manufacturers name.

canalrun

Licensed User
Longtime User
It was handed to me by a sales guy who said: "See if this does anything".

He said he found it on a shelf.

There is not even a manufacturer name or part number sticker on the device.

It looks like it would be a monster to take apart to see what's inside.

Barry.

canalrun

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks.
I will give these a try. Hopefully it's still running Android when it goes dark.

Barry.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Usually, most android devices can get into bootloader mode using key combo, like power+home or vol+

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Worth checking there isn't a recessed reset button on the back somewhere, may be just a small pinhole.

canalrun

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for the replies.

I am running ADB, USB cable connected from PC to display device USB port that is normally used to connect a PC-type keyboard. On the PC I run ADB devices and it says no devices found.

I think I'm using ADB correctly? I would interpret "no devices found" as either my display device doesn't support ADB or when the display goes dark it has hard crashed.

Unfortunately the only interface to this device is via the PC-type keyboard plugged into a USB connector on the device. There are no other buttons – nothing else other than a power connector and the display, which is not a touchscreen.

It is too big for a paperweight and too light for a doorstop :D.

Any ideas are welcome – even wild guesses.

Thanks,
Barry.

canalrun

Licensed User
Longtime User
I opened up the unit and the circuit board contained micro push-buttons for Volume+, Volume-, and PWR.

I was able to hold down the Volume- and PWR buttons while I power cycled.

It's not quite back to where it was, but it's good enough that I can run B4A programs on it again using the B4A bridge. There is an overlay icon, always in front, in Chinese, Korean, or Japanese that I can't get rid of – at least it's usable.

Thanks for all the help.
Barry.

canalrun

Licensed User
Longtime User
Here is a picture of the display:

upload_2017-4-14_16-45-42.png

The display is actually that rectangular thing showing Pixar and the images. I have it mounted to a frame I built out of scrap lumber pieces to make it easier to work with. There are some extra computer parts and wires in the background

This picture was taken before I messed it up.

Barry.

An Schi

Licensed User
Hmm...could have been a public announcement sign, like showing when the next bus will come. Would also fit to not beeing able to acess the buttons nor the touchscreen.