Replace OpenDialog and SaveDialog with Shell("fexplore.exe", ?

Discussion in 'Questions (Windows Mobile)' started by RB Smissaert, Jan 3, 2009.

1. RB Smissaert

RB Smissaert Well-Known Member Licensed User

Is it possible to pick a file for Open or Save with Shell("fexplore.exe" etc. ?
    Or is there another way to pick a file other than OpenDialog and SaveDialog?
    I only need to pick up the file path as a variable.

RBS

2. agraham

agraham Expert Licensed User

3. RB Smissaert

I want to pick a full path and needs to work on the device. Also I need a variable then to hold that full path.
    Doesn't look you can do this with Shell, but maybe there is a way to do this with the API as in GetOpenFileName and GetSaveFileName in the Windows API.
    Don't know even if there is an equivalent on the device.

RBS

4. RB Smissaert

GetOpenFileName

This suggests that it can be done no problem. No idea though how to access
    this API. I suppose you need to make a dll with one of the .net languages?

RBS

5. agraham

Perhaps I'm being thick but I am afraid that I don't understand what you mean. In what way does the following fragment not do what you want?
    Code:
    Result = OpenDialog.Show
    If Result = cOK then
      FileAndPath = OpenDialog.File
    Else
      FileAndPath = 
    ""
    End If
    As far as I know this shows exactly the same dialog as using OpenDialog in Basic4ppc.

Yes, that's the only way to do it from Basic4ppc.

6. RB Smissaert

I think I just found a very nice and simple solution to this. It is a little utility that replaces (optionally, so you can turn it off) the file open/save dialog on the device with a better one. Slightly tricky to install, but all the information is on this website:

PocketPCFreeware : File Dialog Changer 1.66

Been testing it for a bit now and sofar all great.
    Thanks to Hou Ming for making this available.

RBS

7. RB Smissaert

It is the interface of this dialog I want to change. See first post in this thread.
    As posted a few minutes ago, I think I have solved this now.

RBS

8. agraham

Good. Quite a few of us use that utility to overcome the limitations of the normal Windows Mobile dialogs.

For the benefit of those who may be wondering why you would want to use this the reason is that the usual open and save dialogs restrict you to the MyDocuments folders and their contents. FileDialogChanger changes these dialogs to unrestricted ones that can access the entire folder structure on the device.

9. RB Smissaert

Yes, that plus the interface is a lot better. You get it just like the desktop interface. Looks like a must-have utility to me.

RBS

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice