Resizing listview's individual item height according to their content

walterf25

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello All, I need to find a solution to my problem, I'm working with an app requires a listview.
I need to set the itemheight of each item according to the text, sometimes I will have a short string and others i will have a long string, so i need to resize the item height accordingly.
I've tried Erel's Custom Listivew and it works great, but it has some issues and i don't have the time to figure out how to fix them, is there a way to use the listview that comes with the core library, and be able to change the itemheight as well.

Thanks All
Walter

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Listviews work wonderfully with short text.
I have fooled around with measuring the text length and trying to adjust the height with varying results - most unsatisfactory.

So now I just set the height to my expected max. Short text leaves alot of white space, long fills the view nicely (example below).

You could always purchase the UtimateListView from Informatix: It likely handles this and SO MUCH more...
http://www.b4x.com/forum/additional...es/22736-lib-chargeable-ultimatelistview.html

*** It just made Senior status with this post - but I am only 55 this coming June... (and don't see the "freedom" in it)

B4X:
Sub Activity_Create(FirstTime As Boolean)

Activity.LoadLayout("SetAll")

Panel1.SetLayout(0, 0, 100%x, 100%y)
   LV1.SetLayout(0, 0, 100%x, 100%y)
   LV1.ScrollingBackgroundColor = Colors.Transparent ' need this to avoid the ugly black background when scrolling
   Dim lb, lbl1,lbl As Label

lb = LV1.SingleLineLayout.Label
    lb.Color = Colors.ARGB(140,90,90,120)
    lb.TextColor = Colors.ARGB(240,180,180,20)
    LV1.SingleLineLayout.ItemHeight = 30dip ' small height group label

lbl = LV1.TwoLinesAndBitmap.Label
   lbl.TextColor = Colors.White

lbl1 = LV1.TwoLinesAndBitmap.SecondLabel

LV1.TwoLinesAndBitmap.SecondLabel.Width  = LV1.Width - 50dip
' the above line prevents the text displaying out of view.  Allows text to wrap within the view   

lbl1.TextColor = Colors.ARGB(240,190,180,0)

If DefCM.GetDevicePhysicalSize < 6 Then    ' if phone
       LV1.TwoLinesAndBitmap.ItemHeight = 70dip ' set item height and text size
      lbl.TextSize = 18
      lbl1.TextSize = 14

Else  ' if tablet
       LV1.TwoLinesAndBitmap.ItemHeight = 80dip
      lbl.TextSize = 24
      lbl1.TextSize = 18

End If

AddLVItems

End Sub

Last edited: