Bug? "Run AVD Manager" doesn't start AVD manager

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
after reading your post i tried to start SDK Manager (my own installation).
There is no Update available. So there is no "SDK Tools, Revision 25.3.0" here...

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have updated my SDK and SDK-tools and I am unable to open the AVD Manager from the B4A-ide.

corwin42

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have updated my SDK and SDK-tools and I am unable to open the AVD Manager from the B4A-ide.
Updated to what version?

I still only see SDK Tools 25.2.5 as the latest. No 25.3.0 here in SDK Manager

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have 25.3.1:

upload_2017-3-15_13-11-9.png

and I am unable to open B4A AVD Manager from the B4A-ide.....

corwin42

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
This is the Android Studio SDK Manager which is not recommended for B4A.

It seems that the standalone SDK Manager currently doesn't get the update. Only Android Studio 2.3.0 gets it. I still use 2.2.3 here and even there the latest SDK Tools is 25.2.x

Edit:
I have reinstalled my development system a few week ago and wanted to download the command line tools directly from google. I first tried to use the version available here: https://developer.android.com/studio/index.html
If I remember correctly there were parts missing from this tools package and so I downloaded the package which is linked from the B4A site. That worked as expected.

Last edited:

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Well, I am using indeed AS 2.3 and I use the built-in SDK Manager (you can access the old one through a link in the SDK Manager form).
However, I have been using this one for a long time and I have not experienced any problems until now.

This is the Android Studio SDK Manager which is not recommended for B4A.

I was not aware that it should not be used for B4A :confused:
Where was this posted?

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Well, I have installed my SDK in a folder on my C-drive which both Android Studio and B4A are using.
For me it is not a big deal, I can run AVD-manager from Android Studio when I need it.

corwin42

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Following the release notes (link in OP) they have indeed removed several tools which are now integrated into Android Studio. For now they are not needed by B4A. I guess the AVD Manager is moved to another place since the emulator has its own package now. Maybe this will be a simple change to B4A that it will work again.

I fear that they will drop the old toolchain in the future which is used by B4A to compile apps. Sometimes they are very fast with removing stuff from the SDK. Some of the tools they now removed were deprecated just in november 2016. There are plenty of posts currently saying that the 25.3.0 SDK break several third party development tools like Unity.