Samsung Tab2 G4 does not display numeric keyboard with decimals

Mahares

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I am dealing with two Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, 10 inch. One with 4G and one without. Both run the same app.
1. The one with 4G only displays a phone keyboard when the edittext box is expecting numbers with decimals. It does not show the decimal point.
2. The one without 4G displays the querty keyboard with the letters disabled, but the numbers and decimal point enabled as they should be when I am inputting numbers with decimals in edittext box.
For those who have worked with both, how do I get the 4G tablet to behave like the one without, by showing the decimal point when the input is expecting numbers with decimals without having to make program changes?

Last edited:

Mahares

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The only other available keyboard is the QWERTY alphanumeric that shows up when expecting text, but for the editext boxes that are expecting numbers with decimals I only get the phone keyboard without the decimal point. As mentioned, the tablet without 4G behaves the way it is supposed to. Does anyone using Samsung Galaxy Tab2 with 4G expereince this oddity?

Upvote 0

timwil

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 but the 7" 4G Cellular Version

Can you give a sample so that i can test it on mine?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Out of curiosity can you try the attached?

Attachments

• dectest.zip
    10.2 KB · Views: 247
Upvote 0

timwil

Licensed User
Longtime User
It opens up to the numeric keyboard entry screen

I have Go! keyboard installed as my main keyboard

If i change it to the samsung keyboard (the pre-installed one) I get the full keyboard with the numbers on the top line

Upvote 0

Mahares

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@Timwil: All you need to do to replicate it is have an edittext view on your layout using the designer and set its inputtype to DECIMAL_NUMBERS. You willbe able to replicate it, at least on the 10 inch 4G I have. The decimal does not show up.
@Stevel: I wanted to avoid having to add any code to filter the input type. As I mentioned in my post, the behavior is correct on the same type of Galaxy not equipped with a 4G. To recap: The 4G does not allow for the input of a decimal (not good). The tablet without 4G disables the letters and enables the numbers and decimals (good).
Thank you both

Upvote 0

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The code I gave is similar to using the InputType in the designer, it just has a few more options and if it works for the difficult one, should work for both. So you wouldn't have to apply different codes for different phones.

Upvote 0

Mahares

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@Stevel: I tested the code you posted. It works well. The only puzzlement I have is that I did not have to add any special code to get what I wanted for the non 4G tablet. By adapting your code, I would have to add the CLASS code, then change 50 other edittext boxes (we are not dealing with one or two boxes), which theoretically should not be necessary for 2 similar tablets from the same manufacturer. I was questioning Samsung for this discrepancy.
Thank you for your contribution

Upvote 0

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
OK, thanks for the reply it's interesting (if frustrating) to find these discrepancies even within the same supplier.

If you decided to implement it, you can compile the Class to a library if it's simpler at least the code is invisible. Adding to the edit texts, yes that will take a while.

Upvote 0

Mahares

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
To summarize: Two samsung galaxy tab2 10 inch. One has 4G, the other one does not. I have several edittext views that require only numbers with decimals created in the designer InputType is DECIMAL_NUMBERS.
The 4G keyboard does not allow for the input of a decimal (not good). The tablet without 4G keyboard disables the letters and enables the numbers and decimals (good). If I cannot get help on this one, I assume it is not doable without adding code.
Thanks

Upvote 0

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0