Search engine was updated

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
The forum search engine was updated.

It now allows filtering the results based on the product, post time, thread prefix and author:
SS-2016-08-15_15.35.53.png

More importantly, the results returned should be better in most cases

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I understand your design choice, you want to keep things technical and straight-forward.
Nevertheless, I think it would be nice to have a check-box to include chit-chat threads... :)

Just in case anyone finds it useful, here's the current Google alternative using some voodoo magic: site:b4x.com "thread title"

Example: site:b4x.com "My Holiday Postcards"

fredo

Licensed User
Longtime User
...It now allows filtering the results based on the product, post time, thread prefix and author...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this new search. It is really useful to get to the desired information in short time.

I like especially the [post time] filter "last week" etc. Now I can avoid digging trough old threads but can catch up with recently added informations of a specific topic.

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi, from previous version I really miss the eventual top link/reference to the doc page about the searched for item.
I mean, searching for "panel" we used to read a top link to the panel component definition, followed by posts relative to that term. Now we have just the posts' list.
One option could be to have the doc pages link at the top, hext to Chat Room or on any other always available stripe.
Thank you.

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It will be added in the near future.
Any news? Today I searched for File.exists which I know is explained in the Documentation under Files (Core) but the documentation-link will still not show up in search-results. It's a bit cumbersome that we must open the Documentation in a different browser-tag to look up what we are searching.

Last edited:

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes, I know with B4A v6.30 it is possible and very convenient. However, when helping out people, while I am in the office for instance where I might not have B4A available, this is not possible. Anyway, as long you have in mind to implement it, that sounds good to me.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Last edited:

Widget

Licensed User
Longtime User
Any chance of searching for exact phrases (when words are in quotes) like "cell selection"? Otherwise I'm getting far too many rows returned and the only solution is to use Google with "site:b4x.com "cell selection"".

If you are using SQLite for your forum database then FTS5 does exact phrase matches for quoted strings. See below.

FTS5 supports a variety of queries:
  • Prefix searches: doc* would match both document and doctor.
  • Quoted phrases: "sql database" would match the exact phrase sql database.
  • NEAR queries: NEAR(sqlite search, 5) would match documents where the tokens sqliteand search are within 5 words of each other.
  • Set operations using AND, OR and NOT: huey OR ufos would match documents containing either huey or ufo.
  • {col1 col2} : huey: Search in col1 and col2 for the phrase huey.

http://charlesleifer.com/blog/building-the-sqlite-fts5-search-extension/

An Schi

Licensed User
Widget has a point anyway.

In a lot of cases the forum search is good.
But in some cases it is just impossible to search something, i.e. when your searchphrase matches with something very commen, like wanting to see 'dimenson' and you get tons of posts containing ''dim'. Or you want to learn how to do widgets and get mostly posts written by a guy using a keyword as username :p