secretly upgrading my PC!

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
In the last two months my PC has had:

new SSD drive (60gb -> 500gb)
new motherboard (socket 75 to socket 1151)
new CPU (e5500 to g4560)
new GPU (amd 6670 to nvidia 660) - and just ordered a nvidia 1060 6gb
new RAM (4gb to 16gb)
new PSU (250w to 600w)

and the only thing my wife has noticed was the new keyboard and mouse and switching to windows 10!!!
She hasn't said anything about how fast it is, or the fact it sounds different when you switch it on, or the different bios boot screen! :)

I did keep the same PC case, so I suppose can't blame her! :)

Anyone done significant upgrades and the other half not notice???

p.s. in case any one is wondering, yes B4A does compile much faster now. Mainly thanks to the SSD and Ram upgrades.

An Schi

Licensed User
Yeah, upgraded cpu (amd phenom 2 4x3,4ghz now) and gpu (gtx 960 4gb now) without telling her as well :oops::D
But we have our own PCs so there was no danger of getting caught ;)

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
the only thing my wife has noticed was the new keyboard and mouse and switching to windows 10
Hmm - the day when she notice that there are less money in the bank-account, she will surely become aware and let you know! :D

Seriously, I also did a similar upgrade some time ago but the most important things were SSD and RAM (I also brought my PC to 16gb).

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'll be honest about the money. It's coming from m e saving up adsense money from games written in b4a, so my wife isn't bothered anyway. I just think it's funny she hasn't noticed the vastly improved system performance.

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@andymc as an ex self employed computer service engineer who used to own 2 shops in Walsall and one in Birmingham, I can safely say that most users do not notice a speed increase from upgraded hardware even if it's clearly noticeable to you. If you were to then place the old components back in after a month or so, users would soon start to complain about how the machines have suddenly slowed down :confused:

Luckily for me I have my own laptops and tablets and Joanne has her own laptop and tablet, so I don't have to worry about anything like that. When her tech messes up my only job is to fix them, again :rolleyes:

Last edited: