Android Question Selling an app through own site rather than play store

Arf

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,
Two questions here:
1: If I wanted to distribute an app as a free app through google play store (easy installation and upgrading and target device compatability check etc), but ask users to purchase an unlock key directly from my website to enable the app to work - is this something I can do or will google zap my app?

2: If (1) is not an option, has anyone got any idea how hard it would be to add the functionality to my website to allow purchase and installation of the app from a page on the site, and for me to be able to roll out automatic updates somehow? I am not sure if there is a mechanism to do this other than through the play store.

Thanks.

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi all,

my 2 cents here.
If you wanna be no-risk Google-compliant you may want to have a look at in-app purchasing. That way you put on PlayStore your app that works as a demo or sligthly better and, following the proper in-app purchase, unlocks the pro-features.

Otherwise you could become G-free and upload your app to your own webserver (in a private area). Automatic updates could be done by means of libs like my own AppUpdating or any similar one. If you plan to go this way, think ahead about end-user purchases, payments and eventual give backs. Building your own store won't be easy, so if you don't expect high-volume sales maybe you could arrange a mechanism where you sell a "token" which becomes the personal key to a download page or something similar. For very low-volume sales you could even mail direct to your users.

udg

Upvote 0

Arf

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks all. The app would be low volume but high price, so google would be taking a huge chunk if I sold through the store.
Actually the 'distribute by email' approach may not be too bad as it is direct customer interaction.

I'll check your library out udg - We would not want to sell through a store, it was mainly the autoupdate that I was attracted to.
I guess the other concern is customers are then able to email the apk around, which they could not do with store purchases.
So the license key operation would still be required.

Upvote 0