Sliding Panels versus Tabhost

Mahares

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have used tabhost for an app. It works well and TabhostExtra enhances it even further. I noticed a lot of excitement about Sliding Panels using AHviewpager in some threads. Is there an advantage of one over the other or a simple preference. It seems that with Tahost, you press on the tab indicator and your page is visible. With the AHviewpager, you still have to slide your finger or click on a button to go to a given page. When you have 6 or 7 pages, it is quicker to get where you want with a tabhost. It is great that B4A provides choices. Could you please enumerate the pros and cons of each and conditions when you want to use one over the other?
Thank you

NJDude

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My humble opinion:

Using tabs might be useful if you have a few panels, each tab needs a header which makes going from panel to panel rather quickly, however, having say 5+ panels might be a problem since all the tab headers will be crammed on the screen; on the other hand, sliding panels can use the whole screen, regarding browsing quickly, besides, people are also used to "swipping" so it's intuitive, about controls, you could add buttons or shorcuts to the "MENU" key of have a "tab" on the screen with other choices like jumping to an specific panel etc.

Both are useful and depends on the app you are designing.

Upvote 0

Mahares

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
How easy is it to have an input list to allow the user when he enters the program to choose between sliding panels and a tabhost in an application.
Will there be any conflict between the two in the same applications using the same panels and layouts. Do you use one activity and 2 separate subs, or two separate activities, or what. I would like to use the most resource efficient method.
Thanks

Upvote 0