Android Question SMB (Samba) v2/v3 support ? (i.e is there a library for it ?)

rcscsuk

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi
I'm working on application which has a function to copy files from a Windows share to the android device.

I am using the SMB library v1.1 found in these forums.

In testing in a Windows 7 environment this works fine. i.e. a copying files from a Windows 7 share to the device works. On trying this in the production network the share is on a Windows SBS 2011 server and it does not work. I set credentials OK but I do not get back any results when I query for files.

I also tried the MLFiles/MLSmb library also found in these forums - with similar results (it doesn't work).

I think the problem is that the SBS 2011 server is not running SMB v1 (which the Windows 7 probably is).
I tried to confirm this by installing an app from the play store call 'AndSMB' (a network 'browser' app) this has the option to choose SMB v1 or SMB v2/v3. Choosing v1 I could not browse the Window Server shared - choosing SMB v2/v3 I could.

So - can someone confirm that SMB library v1.1 and MLFiles/MLSmb libraries are SMB v1 compatible only ?

And is there a library available for B4A which supports SMB v2/v3 ?

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
i only know the smb lib. I was not aware that there is a second one MLsmb too. I do not know any other.

Upvote 0

rcscsuk

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for the reply Erel.

Unfortunately the reason why more and more people are disabling SMB v1 especially on servers (it's disabled by default on Window Server products now I think) is that is not very secure and recent ransomware/malware attacks have exploited these weaknesses. I cannot ask my client to enable a known insecure protocol.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/filecab/2016/09/16/stop-using-smb1/

I guess I'll have to rethink my whole method for this app (Any chance v2 support is on the 'to do' list ?)

Upvote 0

zabayin

Licensed User
As i'm a also windows user .. The new SMB Library V2 or V3 is very valuable for me. But i can't i'm new bie. Hope Erel or someone post the new library for us.
thank you for thread. +1

Upvote 0

zabayin

Licensed User
This is important (critical!) for me as well.
This Thread is old but if someone like @MrKim i want to share my exp. Don't use SMB (even SMB v1) Because sending file from android to windows folder is long time (slow speed even wireless 450 M router) i lost my time and there is no updated SMB Version Library in the forum.(SMB V2/V3). So Finally i switched to ftp and ftp is work like charm. Please find FTP library solution. Let it be SMB :) Good Luck

Upvote 0

zabayin

Licensed User
Hi ... Mr.@Tal Widerman i'm not java developer and i don't know how to use with it B4A. Is there already wrapped Library that you mention it ? Thank you

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Dear @zabayin, there is actually no need for a wrapper.
Sure it is.jNQ is a java library. But to use them in B4A one need to write a wrapper library to expose the jNQ-functionality to be useable from B4A.

I visited your website but i can´t find any download for jNQ. Where can i download the jar file (or AAR)? Or the source to compile it to jar/aar by myself?

Upvote 0

Tal Widerman

Sure it is.jNQ is a java library. But to use them in B4A one need to write a wrapper library to expose the jNQ-functionality to be useable from B4A.

I visited your website but i can´t find any download for jNQ. Where can i download the jar file (or AAR)? Or the source to compile it to jar/aar by myself?

Need to check with Android customers, maybe I can provide an example wrapper for B4A.
The link to receive the library is:
https://visualitynq.com/try-it?
Just fill in your details to evaluate the product.

Good luck

Upvote 0

MrKim

Licensed User
Longtime User
As i'm a also windows user .. The new SMB Library V2 or V3 is very valuable for me. But i can't i'm new bie. Hope Erel or someone post the new library for us.
thank you for thread. +1
Need to check with Android customers, maybe I can provide an example wrapper for B4A.
The link to receive the library is:
https://visualitynq.com/try-it?
Just fill in your details to evaluate the product.

Good luck
Here is a link to what it takes to make a library usable in B4A. I don't have the skill or the time to do it but if you did I'm sure you could sell it here.
https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/java-creating-libraries-for-basic4android.6810/

Upvote 0

Tal Widerman

Thank you @MrKim for your kind suggestion.
I have looked at this and although building the wrapper does not seem complicated, our focus is on the SMB development.
Customers can receive a Java (or C) library and build the wrapper themselves or ask us to do it, as a side project.

I will update here in case we will have the wrapper in the future.

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0