Android Question SMS Length limitet to 70Bytes ?

GvD

Licensed User
Longtime User
hi there, i ( a newbie in app-writing )wrote a little app for sending SMS. But i wonder! When the message is max. 70 Bytes - all things are o.k.
With 71Bytes nothing happens. No errormsg; no SMS will be sent. Same problem with sms.send and sms.send2.
Do someone know this Problem?

Hardware Samsung S5.
b4a 3.8 and Phone lib is 2.25

GvD

Licensed User
Longtime User
Welcome to B4A.

Try searching the forums for "sms length", you will find some treads about it, also, there's no need to open multiple threads for the same question.

i've done this for hours!
klaus told me, that he has deleted the thread so what shall i do?
if you have no ideas for the problem - give the others a chance. thanks

Upvote 0

GvD

Licensed User
Longtime User
ok - i found a hint:
Do SMS become more expensive through using special characters?
Answer:
Some special characters in an SMS result in the device changing to a 16-bit code without the user noticing, which reduces the possible number of characters per SMS to 70.

The following are problematic:

• All emoticons (special form of smileys)
  • Various other scripts, such as Hebrew, Arabic or Cyrillic
  • The following SMS characters:  â, Á á, à ã, Ᾱ ᾱ, Ç ç , Č č, Ć ć, Ê ê, Ë ë, Ė ė, Î î, Í í, ń, Ô ô, Ó ó, Õ õ, Œ œ, Ō ō, Ś ś, Š š, Û û, Ū ū, Ӱ ӱ
************************************************************************************************
Message size
Transmission of short messages between the SMSC and the handset is done whenever using the Mobile Application Part (MAP) of the SS7 protocol.[39] Messages are sent with the MAP MO- and MT-ForwardSM operations, whose payload length is limited by the constraints of the signaling protocol to precisely 140 octets (140 octets * 8 bits / octet = 1120 bits). Short messages can be encoded using a variety of alphabets: the default GSM 7-bit alphabet, the 8-bit data alphabet, and the 16-bit UCS-2 alphabet.[40] Depending on which alphabet the subscriber has configured in the handset, this leads to the maximum individual short message sizes of 160 7-bit characters, 140 8-bit characters, or 70 16-bit characters.
******************************************************************************************************

so i've tested the message without any of these characters ( also no äöüß and so on ) - no change in Result! :(

Upvote 0

GvD

Licensed User
Longtime User
HEUREKA!
I found my problem! -> I've stored the file with the Message in UTF-8 :eek: After saving in ANSI i am able to send 160Bytes... :oops:

Upvote 0