iOS Question [SOLVED answer is NO] Is there any way to get similar functionality to Androids installreferrer API?

JackKirk

Licensed User
Longtime User
A little while ago I found a way to reliably pass parameters to an Android app as it is opened for the first time after installation via the Google Play Store OPEN button.

Refer to this thread where Erel showed me how to do it:

https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/t...o-com-android-vending-install_referrer.86433/

In my app this is a very useful way to provide a seamless user experience.

I have looked everywhere for anything roughly equivalent in iOS with no luck.

Is there any way to do this that is of a similar level of simplicity as the Android solution?

I am aware of Firebase and Deeplink (see earlier post by me: https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/b4x-deferred-dynamic-links-firebase-vs-deeplink.85983/), but these seem to be sledgehammer-to-crack-a-walnut efforts and some other googling suggests they have ongoing Apple guideline problems brought on by Apple's endless quest to ensure nothing goes on behind the user's back.

Thanks...

JackKirk

Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel,

I'm trying to pass a parameter to the iOS app as it opens for the first time in response to the user tapping OPEN after installing the app from the iTunes app store.

I may be missing something but I can't see how the link you suggest helps.

Thank you...

Upvote 0

JackKirk

Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel,

Have a look at the Android sister app on the Google Play Store:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=treetops.app.customer

specifically the description:
When a TreeTops adventurer buys a Smart Photo pass it is delivered to them via SMS or email.

When the link in this pass is tapped they are invited to install this app.

With this app a TreeTops adventurer can find, download and share all the photos they were in on the day of their adventure.

The SMS has the form:
and email delivery is similar.

You might like to look at the deeplink.html webpage for more gory details.

I want to pass the mnkr and guid parameters to the app as it is launched for the first time - works great with Android but no way to do it in iOS.

If you need more info please ask.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JackKirk

Licensed User
Longtime User
Sandman,

Thanks for your interest.

I have looked long and hard at Universal Links and my understanding is they only work once the app is installed.

I want to pass parameter/s to the app as it is installed and opened the first time.

Please correct me it I am wrong.

Upvote 0

JackKirk

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have come to the same conclusion - I have developed a work around in which when the iOS app detects it does not have the parameters it tells the user to exit everything, go back to the SMS/email and tap the link again - DEFINITELY A CLUNKY USER EXPERIENCE - my dislike of Apple and all its products intensifies.

Upvote 0