Android Question [SOLVED] No notification icon in Lollipop (Android 5, API 21)

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I just checked my app in a Lollipop device, and realized that there's something surprising happening with the notification icon. It looks just fine in the top of the screen, but when I pull down the shade I just see a blue circle, with no icon.

Obviously my first thought was that I had done something wrong, but then I noticed the same thing with B4A Bridge. I know this is a very old version of Android, but I thought I'd ask if this rings a bell with someone?

I should also mention that I'm using NB6, if that matters.

(I messed up the screenshots a bit, so I'm going to show this with B4A Bridge instead of my app. Identical issue though.)

This is what the icon looks like on top of screen:

upload_2018-9-6_22-3-21.png

And this is what it looks like if one pulls down the shade:

upload_2018-9-6_22-4-33.png

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
No, i think he meant the Class written by him:
NB6 - Notificationbuilder Class

But in my first post I mention that I'm already using that one..? And while NB6 does contain a sub called LargeIcon, it only targets newer phones:
B4X:
'Sets the content icon. Should be 256 x 256.
Public Sub LargeIcon (Icon As Bitmap) As NB6
    If IsBuilder Then
        NotificationBuilder.RunMethod("setLargeIcon", Array(CreateIconFromBitmap(Icon)))
    End If
    Return Me
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It feels overly anal to pull in a whole new lib for the very few Lollipop users I have. So... no, a big blue dot isn't so bad after all. :)

Thanks

Upvote 0

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Yeah, I've seen that it contains loads of stuff, and while I havent studied @barx lib in detail, I think that the only thing not in NB6 is the Media style notification. And I don't have any real use for that in my app.

I've seen in that thread that you've studied it in more detail, do you know of any other significant differences between this lib and NB6?

(Plus it seems like @barx has moved on from the lib, as he uploaded the source to Github for all to continue his work.)

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I've seen in that thread that you've studied it in more detail
No, i did not. I just tested in when it was released years ago but i never used it.
I helped with the issue when the new maven architectly comes to live and the sdk changed...

Upvote 0