Games Somebody should turn this into a game!

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Fascinating! No matter which angle you choose, you'll always pocket the ball! :)

Math is awesome!!!

JordiCP

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Nice!

Getting the normal direction vector to the curved surface point where the ball hits should not be that difficult. I don't mean they are obvious, there are maths in it, but it is "just" getting the equations.

Modelling the bands behavior depending on strength as shown in the video and other 'real life' is really another story.o_O

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Fascinating! No matter which angle you choose, you'll always pocket the ball! :)

must be a rookie then since he needed 5 shots to pot 2 balls ;)

good speed, perfect centered cue hit are prolly the secret to do it right.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
if you implement it poorly yes. good simulation keeps speed and cue hit position in mind to calculate bounce effects.

also if your picked speed is too low you'll miss it anyway. if too high it will bump over the hole.

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
good simulation keeps speed and cue hit position in mind to calculate bounce effects
In a physical simulation, yes that's correct.

However, my question was, in a purely mathematical simulation, where cue hit position, friction and any physical variations/imperfections are discarded, with a certain amount of speed, the ball should never miss the pocket (or at least fly over it, but nonetheless cross it), right?

JordiCP

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
However, my question was, in a purely mathematical simulation, where cue hit position, friction and any physical variations/imperfections are discarded, with a certain amount of speed, the ball should never miss the pocket (or at least fly over it, but nonetheless cross it), right?
only if the ball is in the other's focus of the ellipse

eps

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
There's a pub in Windsor, England, which had a round pool table in it... It's been a while since I went there though, so it might not be there any more.

JordiCP

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
This ;)
https://cage.ugent.be/~hs/billiards/billiards.html

Think of a circle as a limit case (the 2 focus are at the same point which is the center): If the ball is in the center of the circle, doesn't matter in which direction you hit the wall (always in a 'perfect' simulation), it will always return to the center.
With ellipses something similar happens, but here this symmetry involves 2 points (focus) instead of one

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
indeed, the player also did this bounce back shot in the video. I thought he put a little effect to the left on the ball to prevent the angle to happen but then it would've bend more.

JordiCP

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Which one do you mean? 1:46 or the one at 1:55? The one at 1:46 seems tricky to me, since the stick inertia is quite too much towards the player's left...
It's been a lot of years since I don't play it (amateur, just for fun), but I liked it so much

melonZgz

Licensed User
Longtime User
Cool video.
As a pool player I'd like to throw there some concepts.
In real life the angle after hitting the cusion is almost never the same angle (minute 1:00). It's not a "mirror", it depends on many factors:
The most obvious is the side spin of the cue ball. It's the easier way to change the output angle.
Another factor is how hard the cue ball hits the cusion. If the ball has a high speed the output angle will be lower, but if the ball hits the cusion so soft the angle will be higher.
The third factor would be the vertical spin of the ball. This is different from the other two points. The vertical spin won't have effect inmediatly after hitting the cusion, it will have effect on the ball until it loses the spin and starts rolling. So if the ball comes to the cusion with some vertical spin it will make a curve until the ball starts rolling.
Yeah, there are a lot of maths involved when playing pool! more than what many people can think. When you have been playing for many years you internalize a lot of concepts and don't need to make almost any calculation, but it takes so many years...
PS: It's hard to me to explain some concepts in english, sorry if you can't understand something I've wrote

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
pool and snooker are fairly "easy" since you only have one angle to take care of in the most ideal cases (straight ball hit) and the effect is only used to position your white ball more optimal.

trat tripple band thing is the real hardcore stuff :) Imagine hitting 3+ borders to hit 2 other balls.

Raymond Ceulemans was years unbeatable at it.

Check his rebound effect at 4:20 and the 5 band shot after it

7 band hit at 15:20

Last edited:

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Somebody should turn this into a game!

Are you offering to do so then Bruno lol.

The guy in the video needs to learn how to hold the cue correctly. The way he was holding it meant that he could easily accidentally be adding some side to the cue ball. Yep I do enjoy playing snooker, says me with the Riley Burwat cue ;)

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Are you offering to do so then Bruno lol.
Ahaha! No time for that... :)
ToDo:
- Level design for Kingdom Crisis (B4A)
- Learn some machine-learning and neural-network shit (Python)
- Learn how to write a game in Unreal Engine 4 (C++)
- Play videogames
- Go to the beach