Android Question Spare phone or tablet for app testing advice

schemer

Licensed User
Longtime User
I was thinking of picking up a spare phone for simple app development testing and had a few questions for the experienced phone guys.

1. If I do this on a budget, what would be the minimum supported Android version I should get?

2. Does the phone need to be setup with a service provider if I want to just use the B4A bridge?

3. Any recommendations of bulletproof phones?

Thanks,
schemer

NJDude

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
1. If I do this on a budget, what would be the minimum supported Android version I should get?
I don't think that you will find anything older than Gingerbread, most come with at least Ice Cream Sandwich.

2. Does the phone need to be setup with a service provider if I want to just use the B4A bridge?
No, B4A Bridge uses your local WiFi network, but I would recommend using USB instead.

3. Any recommendations of bulletproof phones?
Whatever you can afford.

Does it have to be a phone?, you could buy a nice cheap tablet.

Upvote 0

schemer

Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't think that you will find anything older than Gingerbread, most come with at least Ice Cream Sandwich.

No, B4A Bridge uses your local WiFi network, but I would recommend using USB instead.

Whatever you can afford.

Does it have to be a phone?, you could buy a nice cheap tablet.

NJ,
Thanks for the reply. ;) I have used the AVD and it is way slow and I know, not recommended. I use B4A Bridge with ok results but still a bit slow. Genymotion might be good but the price is too much for the full version until I make some money with an app. I already have a phone so maybe a tablet is a good choice. I will definitely look into that. I have plenty of pc's but no tablets. As far as testing goes for best overall compatibility, do you have any tablets you could recommend?
Thanks,
schemer

Upvote 0

schemer

Licensed User
Longtime User
If your in the UK there's was a Huwaei Y330 for £35 new. 4.4.2 stock. Not the best but pretty cheap!
Thanks for the info. I am across the pond so might not be the best choice but I will consider anything.
Cheers!
schemer

Upvote 0

NJDude

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
NJ,
Thanks for the reply. ;) I have used the AVD and it is way slow and I know, not recommended. I use B4A Bridge with ok results but still a bit slow. Genymotion might be good but the price is too much for the full version until I make some money with an app. I already have a phone so maybe a tablet is a good choice. I will definitely look into that. I have plenty of pc's but no tablets. As far as testing goes for best overall compatibility, do you have any tablets you could recommend?
Thanks,
schemer
You can use the free version of Genymotion, no need to buy it, also, the use of emulators is not really recommended, it's better to work with actual devices.

I like the Nexus 7 tab, but, you can do a little bit of research and find similar ones.

Upvote 0

schemer

Licensed User
Longtime User
You can use the free version of Genymotion, no need to buy it, also, the use of emulators is not really recommended, it's better to work with actual devices.

I like the Nexus 7 tab, but, you can do a little bit of research and find similar ones.

Thanks for the recommendation. I see a few choices or different branded Nexus 7 devices out there. Is one superior over another? Any brand to avoid or are they all made by Asus? Just make sure it has a USB port and at least 16GB of storage or go with 32GB and get it over with?
Thanks
schemer

edit: I went here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nexus_7_(2013_version)

and here:
http://www.asus.com/us/Tablets_Mobile/Nexus_7_2013/

So I am reading for a while. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Nexus 7 tablets are made by Asus. Nexus 10 by Samsung. Nexus phones by HTC, Samsung, LG (and maybe motorola?)

I have found that Samsung devices have more bugs because they try to put too many things in. Specifically things like the camera and video playback/codecs.

But also, if your app runs on a Samsung it will still not run on anything :( ... Countless times I tested on my Samsung and it doesnt work with @NJDude HTC devices, and usually we end up agreeing to blame samsung. To be honest I dont know. Now I test on 3 devices, and then I send it to NJDude for further testing because his selection of devices (and 1337 verification skills) almost always break my code.

Upvote 0

schemer

Licensed User
Longtime User
Nexus 7 tablets are made by Asus. Nexus 10 by Samsung. Nexus phones by HTC, Samsung, LG (and maybe motorola?)

I have found that Samsung devices have more bugs because they try to put too many things in. Specifically things like the camera and video playback/codecs.

But also, if your app runs on a Samsung it will still not run on anything :( ... Countless times I tested on my Samsung and it doesnt work with @NJDude HTC devices, and usually we end up agreeing to blame samsung. To be honest I dont know. Now I test on 3 devices, and then I send it to NJDude for further testing because his selection of devices (and 1337 verification skills) almost always break my code.

So I will skip the Samsung for now and go with the Asus 7" Nexus. :D Sure makes it a problem trying to support buyers of your app if they have a Samsung. It sure is good to have the forum for help on weird issues like this. Hopefully I will have better luck. ;)
Thanks,
schemer

edit: So the 16GB 2013 model Nexus 7 looks like a winner?

Upvote 0

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
@schemer and @thedesolatesoul I have a Samsung S3 in daily use (really wanting a Note Edge!) and the Nexus 7 2013 (2nd gen Nexus). My own experience with these two devices is that the Samsung comes packaged with loads of CODEC's and so the VideoView works really well and plays most filetypes, whereas the Nexus is a little more pure Android and has very few CODEC's (if any) and so VideoView will only play MP3's.
I've also found that the Nexus often displays different to what is sometimes expected because it has a high pixel density, so it's always good to check if my views look the same on both my phone and tablet.
My final observation comparing these two devices is that the Nexus 7 is much faster. I once programmed a CustomListView with bump scrolling, it worked flawlessly on the Samsung but on the Nexus I had all manner of problems with my list jumping about due to how fast the Nexus updated the list and fired a timed event. Both devices are excellent devices and I highly recommend them both.

Upvote 0

schemer

Licensed User
Longtime User
@schemer and @thedesolatesoul I have a Samsung S3 in daily use (really wanting a Note Edge!) and the Nexus 7 2013 (2nd gen Nexus). My own experience with these two devices is that the Samsung comes packaged with loads of CODEC's and so the VideoView works really well and plays most filetypes, whereas the Nexus is a little more pure Android and has very few CODEC's (if any) and so VideoView will only play MP3's.
I've also found that the Nexus often displays different to what is sometimes expected because it has a high pixel density, so it's always good to check if my views look the same on both my phone and tablet.
My final observation comparing these two devices is that the Nexus 7 is much faster. I once programmed a CustomListView with bump scrolling, it worked flawlessly on the Samsung but on the Nexus I had all manner of problems with my list jumping about due to how fast the Nexus updated the list and fired a timed event. Both devices are excellent devices and I highly recommend them both.

RandomCoder,
Thank you for the added info. I already have a Droid RAZR MAXX HD so instead of getting another phone I may go with the Nexus 7 Tablet. I am sure my app(s) will be simple for now so I won't have to worry about all those video codecs hopefully as I won't be developing anything with videos. I may be wrong here but I think from what you said, they are both good so its a win win situation. Is the 16GB 2013 model good enough and is it upgradeable to Lollipop?
schemer

Upvote 0

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm sure the 16GB will be fine. If you install ES Explorer or a similar utility then you can use a network share to store your files on.

PS if you've not tried ES Explorer then you really should. It's about the only application that I always recommend when people ask which apps too install.

Upvote 0

schemer

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm sure the 16GB will be fine. If you install ES Explorer or a similar utility then you can use a network share to store your files on.

PS if you've not tried ES Explorer then you really should. It's about the only application that I always recommend when people ask which apps too install.

Never tried ES Explorer but I will. :) Thanks for the added info.
schemer

Upvote 0