Android Question #StartAtBoot: True ...Doesn't work

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by studio4, Jul 19, 2015.

1. studio4

studio4 Member Licensed User

Hello, I need help. I have tried differents solutions but I haven't got any idea. I want that when my device power on, an service starts.

It is an example (In this case, I have tried open my app when my device power on), and when power on, appears .... "crashed".

--------SERVICE ------
    #Region Service Attributes
    #StartAtBoot: True
    #End Region

Sub Process_Globals
    'These global variables will be declared once when the application starts.
    'These variables can be accessed from all modules.

End Sub
    Sub Service_Create

End Sub

Sub Service_Start (StartingIntent As Intent)

StartActivity(Main)

End Sub

Sub Service_Destroy

End Sub

'-----END SERVICE

I have tried remove "StartActivity(Main)" in de "Service_Start" but, the application crashed too. It is to say, my app also crashed with the service is empty.

I need help, because I don't know that thing I am doing bad....

2. Erel

Erel Administrator Staff Member Licensed User

Can you post the error message from the logs?

Are you compiling your app in release mode?

3. studio4

When I compile with debug mode, doesn't appears any error because it happens only when I reboot my device, so I can´t obtain any logs after that. How can I obtain this logs?

In the other hand?... The error can be due to declare some variables in Process_Globals of the other activites? In same of theese activities I have declare variables which types are NotificationBuilder , list, HttpClient, HttpRequest, Object...

When I complile and open my app works perfectly. If I close my app and after that I open again, works perfectly too. The problem resides in the fact that I can't use a service module with startatboot. I need it for start anothers services which check some data bases of sqlite.

P.D: Sorry, my English isn't good.

Thanks, Erel.

4. qsrtech

qsrtech Active Member Licensed User

It's been a while but i think i encountered this issue and resolved it by putting a timer in the service and start the activity in the timer tick. I use 10 seconds. Give it a try and see if that makes a difference.

5. studio4

RESOLVED

THANKSSSSSSS for your attention. I am very happy. I found the real problem...

The problem happens because I had declared some variables (of type: NotificationBuilder , list, HttpClient, HttpRequest) in "Process_Globals" of the several activities, but I had problems to detect it because the error doesn't say what was happening, only says (...chrased). The solution was: I have made a Class Module and I have declared all the variables there. Now, my service start when I power on my device perfectly but, at this moment I have to change a lot of things in my app after this changes.

Thank you a lot.

6. freetoair

freetoair Member Licensed User

When I try to:

#Region Service Attributes
    #End Region

I get this message:

B4A version: 5.02 (1)
    Parsing code. Error
    Error parsing program.
    Error description: Attribute not supported: startatboot
    Occurred on line: 16

Why?

7. sorex

sorex Expert Licensed User

did you put that in a service module or just in the main B4A file?

DonManfred likes this.
  8. freetoair

just in the main B4A file !

9. sorex

sorex Expert Licensed User

that only works for services

Project > Add new module > Service module

DonManfred likes this.
  10. freetoair

Ok sorex guessed the answer from your questions. It's all right, it works. thanks a lot