Games Stickman and copyright.

Eme Fibonacci

Licensed User
Longtime User
I finished a project and only after I finished I thought about it.:(

Can I use use the stickman name/figure? How to get reliable information on this?
Is stickman copyrighted?

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
TRACTION GAMES has registered the "stickman" word for everything computer games related. (pc, mobile, arcade ...)

If your app has stickman in its name you can expect a mail from their lawyers soon to change the appname.

Eme Fibonacci

Licensed User
Longtime User
TRACTION GAMES has registered the "stickman" word for everything computer games related. (pc, mobile, arcade ...)

If your app has stickman in its name you can expect a mail from their lawyers soon to change the appname.

Do you have the source of this information?

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
you can look it up online... http://tmsearch.uspto.gov for example

stickman.png

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
they also registered the names of their individual stickman games

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
a few years ago King the company behind Candy Crush etc registered several words like King, Saga, Candy etc.

the result was Candy Jam with nearly 500 indie games with their registered words in the title as protest :)

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
you have to see if the wordmark is computer games related.

sometimes you find a lot of registrations but for a totally different business/domain.

also check the LIVE or DEAD status. only the LIVE ones are relevant.

Eme Fibonacci

Licensed User
Longtime User
you have to see if the wordmark is computer games related.

sometimes you find a lot of registrations but for a totally different business/domain.

also check the LIVE or DEAD status. only the LIVE ones are relevant.

Thank you. I'm learning a lot from that.

Eme Fibonacci

Licensed User
Longtime User

Hi, and about stick figure? What you think? Can I use?

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I guess you can use it as the store is full of it already.

But history tells us there have been a lot of lawsuits for games that looked too similar with fines or store removals as result.
(search for The Great Giana Sisters, K.C. Munchkin etc)

But with stores like google play most games are free and it would be too expensive to open a lawsuit for something where you can't calculate possible earning loss from as a download is not always a direct sale.