Thanks for your "Like"s

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
upload_2014-6-23_19-43-43.png

Now I can go to Hawaii, expenses paid by Erel :)

eps

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Not fair! ;) I've been wanting to go to Hawaii for a long time now, but suspect it will be a few years before I get a chance to visit.

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I've been there back in 1982.. when most of you weren't even in your parents' minds!
If the islands stayed as wonderful as I recall, they surely deserve at least a week or two. And if you can surf..well, Internet surfing will suddenly turn to a boring experience!

Umberto

IanMc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Surely Per Aspera Ad Astra means 'through hard work anything can be obtained' ?

I mean those old dead latins didn't walk around saying things like 'do this and you can reach the stars' ?

'the stars' was something to look up to.

Per Aspera was perhaps 'out of breath' as in working or toiling.

per has the same meaning today, a 'joining' word 'per breathing..'

If they did walk around saying stuff like that then I bet they got beat up a lot :)

Anther way to say it is of course:

Arbeit macht frei

Last edited:

IanMc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Think happy Hawaii thoughts

I'm crappy at latin anyway but I think that when latin was spoken it was a real language and we only have fragments of it.

an interesting experiment is to try to retrieve actual sounds from ancient brickwork.

Sounds impossible :)

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think it is useless to study a dead language.
was it really matter because its grammar needs a lot of logic, but for this there is the math.
Only positive factor: from it many or all languages, then you will find the bases of Latin also into English, for example.

My bad bad english :D

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Ian,

my translation was indeed free-style, but the meaning is that.
Look here to have a second opinion.

If they did walk around saying stuff like that then I bet they got beat up a lot :)
Well, sometimes they have been beated up and many others they won easily, expecially against low-civilized and not military organized people :rolleyes:

Anyway, what we know for sure about ancient people is ..that they now are all dead! eh eh

Umberto

IanMc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Cool!

I don't think it is useless to learn ancient languages like Latin as there are always things to learn from the past.

Reminds me of programming as it would seem that no-matter what you learn with programming the chances are that it will come around again at some point so the learning is never wasted.

Take modem AT commands for example, I'd never have thought I'd be using them again to talk to bluetooth modules!

Lucky I learned them all those years ago then :)

Octal will be next :confused:

Reactions: udg