The Paradox of Choice

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I found this video interesting, well I did anyway.

Rightly or wrongly both Apple and Google are sharks.

Apple banning F.Lux reminded me of the following from their fellow shark Google.
I remember Google banning the Ear Agent app (formally known as Ear Spy) from Overpass Apps from the Play Store after years of it being the number 1 hearing aid (apparently) app on the Play store. Google banned the app claiming privacy issues, but that same year Google themselves released an app called Google’s Sound Amplifier that not only does the exact same thing as Ear Agent, but even the initial screen layouts looked almost identical to Ear Agent from Overpass apps (look at the screen shots if you can find them). Now that's disgusting and reeks of being the lowest of the low from a large company like Google. Google's motto of Don't be evil definitely applied to them here. As far as I'm concerned Google clearly removed their biggest competitor (a one man developers like plenty of us on b4x,com) just for their own gain, especially as the Play store is full of apps like Ear Agent, just search the store for Ear Spy or Ear Agent.

Oh by the way Google originally removed Ear Agent (formally known as Ear Spy) from the Play after years of it being number 1 in the category because its name 'Ear Spy' appeared intrusive or something like that. Eric the creator of Ear Spy renamed the app from Ear Spy to Ear Agent (with slight improvements) and uploaded it back onto the Play store, it rapidly became the number 1 hearing aid app again. A year or two later it was banned again (I think for good this time) and Google released their own version of basically the exact same app, now that's despicable.

Enjoy...

Last edited:

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Although I too am convinced that large multinational companies are sharks and not just those two, in this case I think it was initially looting, when it allowed apps to spy, in order to collect money.

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
Google's motto of Don't be evil
recent information shows that google has dropped that motto from the code of conduct document handed out to employees as of earlier this year.

more interesting is the google has insight and reading of everything we do - but we have NO insight nor reading into what it does - like playing poker with your cards facing the opponent player and still being required to participate in the betting.

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
recent information shows that google has dropped that motto from the code of conduct document handed out to employees as of earlier this year.

If my memory serves me correctly (and it does), you will actually find that the motto was dropped two or three years ago, about two or three years after Alphabet was formed.

I read about the motto change two or maybe three years ago, which is nowhere near this year :p

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User