Wish This is the third time B4A has crashed and lost a full days worth of code

NeoTechni

Licensed User
Longtime User
It is checked. But that only saves if it survives a compile. An automatic timer that saves to a backup folder would be much better. Especially if it saves whenever you switched tabs or windows too.

NeoTechni

Licensed User
Longtime User
If this option is checked then the project is saved before compilation starts. It doesn't matter whether compilation succeeded or not.

But again, that requires me to trigger it. A timer would not. It should happen automatically. Many major editing programs like Word/Photoshop/etc do that.

What happened that caused the IDE to crash and the data to be lost?

I don't know. But a timer-based backup save would solve whatever problem it was.

Didn't you save the project at all for several days?

No. I was porting a large chunk of VB6 code so it wasn't compilable. And I don't assume the program will crash.

barx

Licensed User
Longtime User
But again, that requires me to trigger it. A timer would not. It should happen automatically. Many major editing programs like Word/Photoshop/etc do that.

I don't know. But a timer-based backup save would solve whatever problem it was.

No. I was porting a large chunk of VB6 code so it wasn't compilable. And I don't assume the program will crash.

So would saving the project once in a while manually. Let's face it is not a huge task.......

If it was 'that' important and took that long, common sense would tell you to play it safe.

NeoTechni

Licensed User
Longtime User
Let's face it is not a huge task.......

And yet Microsoft/Adobe/etc have failsafes.

Adding an automatic backup based on a timer/switching tabs/windows should be worth it regardless.
When I'm doing a ton of programming without compiling, I don't think of saving. And I shouldn't have to plan for the program to fail. The program should plan for it.

Frankly it pisses me off even more than losing the code that people are saying "well you should have planned for that".
Common sense is you build the program to solve problems the user may have, not blame the user for them.
You build the program for the user, not the user for the program.

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
had the program automated we would have some other user complaining that autosave overwrote changes he didn't want to do.
then we end up adding a toggle whether to autosave or not, which would again not solve your problem.
either we end up doing what MS Word does and auto save in a temporary copy.
what is more important is why it crashed 3 times as I have never had a single crash.
I'm going to also add the importance of backups as you never know when your gear fails you.

NeoTechni

Licensed User
Longtime User
had the program automated we would have some other user complaining that autosave overwrote changes he didn't want to do.

That's why I said "save to a backup folder". It won't copy it from the backup to the real one till you actually save.

NeoTechni

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you. I dont know why it crashed. It might have been the computer itself. But the effect and the solution are the same.