transferring large files from PC to PPC

RB Smissaert

Licensed User
Longtime User
Not really a Basic4ppc problem, but maybe somebody knows.
Found out that there is a problem transferring large files from PC to PPC with Active Sync. Either it is very slow or it doesn't work. Simple solution is to use a card reader, but with my phone that is a bit of a hassle as the battery has to be removed to get at the card. Also the phone has a large built in storage (I think 8Gb) so there should be no need to use a card.
Is there any other way to move large files from the PC to the PPC, avoiding Active Sync? I had a good search on the net, but couldn't see anything.
Thanks for any advice.

RBS

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
In the past I too have had trouble moving multi-megabyte mapping files to my Axim X30 using ActiveSync, the transfer used to give up part way through. As the Axim has WiFi and my home network is wireless I just moved the files to a shared folder on the PC, opened it in File Explorer on the device and copied them over.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I've attached the code I'm using to transfer files from the dektop to the device.
I've tested it with a 100mb file and it works properly.
You should change FT-Device.sbp to save the file into the storage card (currently it copies the file to \My Documents).

The hardest part is to connect both sides with the ad hoc (or a regular) network.
Afterward you should run FT-device on the device. It will show you the device's IP. It should be different than 127.0.0.1 (the local IP).

Run the desktop side and enter this IP address. Press connect and if all goes well you should see a 'connected' message. Now you should choose one file or more from the dektop and they will be copied to the device.

Attachments

• FT-Desktop.sbp
    2.6 KB · Views: 186
  • FT-Device.sbp
    2.2 KB · Views: 162

RB Smissaert

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks, that looks very useful.
Haven't got it working yet and I think this is because I only have the USB connection between the PC and the device, so no network connections.
Do I somehow have to setup a network connection through USB or do I need a wireless connection?
Also didn't see in the .sbp code where to change \My Documents

RBS

RB Smissaert

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes, the app on the device shows a different ip address, so that must be OK. The PC app can't connect and it must have to do with the USB connection.
I understand now there also is the option to make the device an external USB drive with some setting on the device and maybe that will bypass the Active Sync.

RBS

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If Your Problem Is Just The File Transfer, Try A Sd Storage Card Program, That Emulates The Device As A Removable Storage Device, So It Is Assigned A Drive Letter Just Like Any Other Usb Flash Drive...
Search Some Device Forum, And For Sure You Will Find What You Need.