Android Question Try/Catch Program Speed

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by daniedb, Jun 11, 2015.

1. daniedb

daniedb Active Member Licensed User

Hi Guys (Mainly for Erel)

I have a Arduino sending a huge Serial string via Bluetooth to my Application. Sometime the string came though crappy, so I start implementing Try/Catch after I Parse the various Fields from the string.
    So currently I'm parsing about 55 variables (so 55 try/catch) in my funtion.
    Will this slowdown my Program, or any other negative effects
    Thanks
    Danie

2. Troberg

Troberg Well-Known Member Licensed User

There will be a small slowdown, of course, but not the massive performance hits that you get in, for example C#. I also assume that the Catch (which is the most "expensive" bit) is only used on bad data, which hopefully occurs seldom.

That said, I usually make data validation without Try-Catch, instead relying on code that checks if it's a meaningful value. That allows me to handle errors in a more intelligent way, depending on what's wrong, and also allows me to catch errors which Try-Catch wouldn't. Say, for example, that we have an integer specifying weekday, with valid values 0-6. Try-Catch would Catch if you got an "M", but it wouldn't catch if someone sent you a 7.

lemonisdead likes this.
  3. daniedb

daniedb Active Member Licensed User

Thanks Troberg,

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice