Android Question TTS to a Traditional Walkie Talkie Network.

SJQ

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi all,

I’ve been asked by a client to look into providing a feature to our Android Notifications System. We have a bunch of IoT sensors uploading data to a cloud server in lets say Area 1, we then have an android smart display device in the client’s main office and sub office in Area 2 displaying results and raising alerts as required.

We have been asked if there is any way to send the spoken alerts via TTS engine out to their Walkie Talkie network. I vaguely remember doing something like this in VB6 (some 20 years ago) and I'm sure we used some sort of cable... but I cannot remember.
  • They only have Internet and Wi-Fi in the main office areas. Area 1 and 2
  • There is no 4G/LTE or Cell Phone coverage about the rest of the facility Areas 3 to 5.
  • They use a specific set of licenced long range Walkie Talkies to keep in touch.
  • The walkie talkies have a headset input/output.
So, I’m looking to find a way to output the Alerts as spoken text via the TTS engine, output this via the Android headset output port and have it input to a walkie Talkie near the unit and this would then transmit out to the other walkie talkies in range.

I’m hoping someone here has tried or done this before, there are lots of question and discussions on the development of walkie Talkie apps over Wi-Fi fi and Bluetooth but I haven’t seen any for direct connection to a traditional walkie talkie network.

If anyone has managed to achieve this?

Did you have to create some kind of VOX cable or does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes one that suitable for android?

Is there a way I can control the PUSH to TALK on the headset line in B4X code?

Thanks…

SJQ

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel,
I don't think I could control the PTT on the Walkie Talkie Handset with this... but I found this PTT Bluetooth Headset I'll contact the manufacturer and see if they have an API or SDK

Upvote 0