turning my "old" Toshiba nb100 into my own server, can it be done???

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi guys... I'm in the last steps of migrating my HDD pertinent info from my old nb100 to my new t100.
Since the nb is still functional, despite a small PSU problem which may require an easy fix, I though I could put it into good use...
I plan to strip I'm of its case and relocate it in a custom one.
Its not the fastest around, and I do have 4gb ram put into it. HDD is just 160gb, but I could turn that into a raid assembly...
Has any of you guys done something like this? What was the cost, and what did you install, OS and such, to make it act like a server?

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm aiming at it being a multi-type server...

What I would like it to do:
(It will be directly connected to my home modem/router)
-Home file server, with User accounts
-Web File server ( using dropbox, not hard to do )
-Media Files Server, since its connect to the same router as my STB
-RDC experimentation
-later on I could also implement an online home security system, if it still can manage the punch

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have a HP N40L running Xubuntu (a slimmed down version of Ubuntu). It does all of my file shares and Linux was a doddle to set up for use accounts so that the kids can't accidentally delete my films or photos etc. I also have XBMC (now called Kodi) installed and MediaTomb so that all the films and music are easily accessible using UPNP. It also acts as my media centre on the big screen in the front room :D
And it's RAID'ed so hopefully I won't lose anything if a HDD fails.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have a HP N40L running Xubuntu (a slimmed down version of Ubuntu). It does all of my file shares and Linux was a doddle to set up for use accounts so that the kids can't accidentally delete my films or photos etc. I also have XBMC (now called Kodi) installed and MediaTomb so that all the films and music are easily accessible using UPNP. It also acts as my media centre on the big screen in the front room :D
And it's RAID'ed so hopefully I won't lose anything if a HDD fails.
Once again, 'another reality' preview between us... Thanks RC, we will continue this discussion in a few weeks...