Beta Umm, what happened to "named" colors in the designer??

qsrtech

Licensed User
Longtime User
please bring back

P.s. i'm starting to feel like this upgrade is bordering the vb6->.net situation.

Last edited:

qsrtech

Licensed User
Longtime User
You can still double click on the text and manually type in a color, for example red, blue, black, white, green, purple, gold, magenta, orange, gray, pink, silver, brown plus lightxxx, darkxxx etc.
That's awesome how you have around 50 color names memorized! (and spelled correctly) ;)

Btw, where was this documented???

Upvote 0

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
That's awesome how you have around 50 color names memorized! (and spelled correctly) ;)

Btw, where was this documented???

I do not think it's documented. I noticed a few days ago that the color names were not there, so I clicked on 000000 (black) and typed the word cyan, the color changed from black to cyan (00ffff) :D

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
i'm starting to feel like this upgrade is bordering the vb6->.net situation
Why this nonsense? Weren't you able to run your current projects in the new version? Is the new IDE based on a new programming language?

I really appreciate the beta testers help with the development of new versions. The beta testers feedback is very important to me. However to be a beta tester you need to have a positive attitude not a negative attitude. Please do me a favor and stop using the beta version.

Upvote 0

qsrtech

Licensed User
Longtime User
Why this nonsense? Weren't you able to run your current projects in the new version? Is the new IDE based on a new programming language?

I really appreciate the beta testers help with the development of new versions. The beta testers feedback is very important to me. However to be a beta tester you need to have a positive attitude not a negative attitude. Please do me a favor and stop using the beta version.
It's unfortunate that you have to take the negative route vs the positive and make it personal. Obviously it's not a radical language change, etc. My feedback is merely an observation and metaphor of the vb6->.net situation from a paying customer. Btw, Windows 8 is another great example.

We all want to hear how great our product is but we also need to hear the not so good stuff to help us grow. Sometimes we can get tunnel vision and lose our way a little. Btw, Isn't a beta to hear the good, bad and ugly? At the end of the day we all have customers that we have to answer to and satisfy if we want to continue to be successful.

So in summary, i was merely pointing out (hinting) it could be dangerous to change things so radically and end up turning people away, therego the vb6->.net "feeling", and i think you know how many people stayed with vb6 after they "played" with .net, myself included. I even had a vb3 app that was recently retired after about a 15 year run so i'm sure there are a lot of vb6 apps still running out there.

These products have amazing potential and I/we have be waiting patiently for them to mature from a hobbyist/proof of concept product to be accepted mainstream. It can be very difficult to get companies to invest a lot of money into code that may or may not be maintainable over the long term.

I am disappointed with your "personal" attack and it concerns me gravely about the future of this product and my investment in time, energy and resources to support it and stake my products/business future on it, but that's also why I have XE8.

In conclusion, perhaps i don't see the vision yet but i don't really see enough "meat" in this next version yet. I guess i'll have to wait and see. Anyway, i'm currently redesigning a large app to be easier to port to ios and keep them in sync since we're not a multi-platform ide (yet?) So i'm sure 4.3 can handle that just fine. Btw, I don't want ios, but unfortunately my customers demand it.

P.s. do me a favour and put the ctrl-click feature in 4.31 ;) (after all i did request it a year or two ago) -2 years and 2 months to be exact

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave O

Licensed User
Longtime User
@qsrtech : While I appreciate you're frustrated by beta bugs and omissions, please keep some perspective.

The VB6>.net thing was a huge shift (some would say schism) - change of dialect, spotty compatibility, etc.

B4A 4.3>5.0 is a much, MUCH smaller change - evolution rather than revolution. I've found no dialect gaps or substantial compilation problems so far, and most of the big changes are in the IDE itself, bringing it up to date. Several little issues and omissions, most of which will be addressed quickly. In short, a BETA.

Looking at Erel's reply, it's clear he was irritated, but I don't see a personal attack in there. He suggested that your attitude was negative (which your throw-away comment was) and that you should not use the beta if you're not prepared for beta problems. I think that's fair enough.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Back on the topic of the color picker
+1

The colors list is not really related to Android. The property grid with its internal editors is based on a third party library. This library doesn't have a built-in list based color picker.
I think that there is also an advantage in using a single more powerful color picker over two different pickers.

Upvote 0

qsrtech

Licensed User
Longtime User
@qsrtech : While I appreciate you're frustrated by beta bugs and omissions, please keep some perspective.

The VB6>.net thing was a huge shift (some would say schism) - change of dialect, spotty compatibility, etc.

B4A 4.3>5.0 is a much, MUCH smaller change - evolution rather than revolution. I've found no dialect gaps or substantial compilation problems so far, and most of the big changes are in the IDE itself, bringing it up to date. Several little issues and omissions, most of which will be addressed quickly. In short, a BETA.

Looking at Erel's reply, it's clear he was irritated, but I don't see a personal attack in there. He suggested that your attitude was negative (which your throw-away comment was) and that you should not use the beta if you're not prepared for beta problems. I think that's fair enough.
Thank you for your comments. If i am correct, most people here are European, and non-north American so perhaps the "starting to feel like" phrase is not being understood as intended. (Btw, i"m married to a European ;)) it doesn't say/mean "i think this is like...". It's not an absolute comparison. There's typically a large gap between "starting" and "ending". Think of a marathon, if you're at the "start" line, you have 24 long grueling miles (38km) ahead of you. My reply mentioned windows 8, maybe that comparison/metaphor would have been better to use.

My apps virtually control/run entire million dollar bussines'. I would be curious to know how many people use b4a/b4i for real world mission critical apps 8+ hours/day, 5+ days a week like I typically do.

And i already mentioned in another post that my one large project compiled just fine.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what the final product looks like.

Upvote 0

Troberg

Licensed User
Longtime User
I see this as a minor problem (I usually use the hex values anyway). I also assume that, eventually, this will be fixed.

Guys, this is a completely new IDE. We can't reasonably expect the first version to be completely up to speed in every detail, but I'm confident that it will, all things considered, be better than the old. In a few minor versions, it'll be properly polished, and you won't be able to understand why you even considered the old one. That's how development goes, and I really shouldn't have to explain this in a forum for developers.

Upvote 0

Brian Robinson

Licensed User
Longtime User
Guys, this is a completely new IDE

+1

Reminder... It's Beta... I think the correct course of action was to question what happened to the Named colour selection and if it was going to make it into the final version. There was probably no need for any P.S comments...

Upvote 0

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think that 4 sliders (RGBA) with instant color preview would be sweet... :)

...or better yet, just do it Photoshop style!! :D
Untitled.png

Upvote 0