Unity3d in B4X

sfsameer

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello everyone :)

As you may know Unity3d is the biggest and most known game development platform.

It allows the developer to create a 3d game by importing assets either from 3d max or any other assets creator.
The problem is that this game engine only uses c# and Java, a lot of developers (me included) are asking this engine to include VB but it's just not happening.

If you search Unity3d VB in Google you will get 1 million+ results.

So here is what am thinking, what if my team and I started developing plug-ins and assets to be built in this engine to force it to work with b4x? And only b4x meaning every single developer that is looking to use this engine with VB he/she will have to learn b4x which means a really great marketing method.

*I know b4x is not purely VB but it uses almost the same syntax.

I think showing the world how powerful b4x is by doing this Because it will also target the game creators

sfsameer

Licensed User
Longtime User
C # is not that different from a java-vb net mix.
Also, there are vb net <-> c# online converters.
Am talking about Unity3d C# and Java, which is different.
The syntax is the almost the same but it's built for Unity3d only.

sfsameer

Licensed User
Longtime User
Done, years ago
If that's the case then you should know what am talking about.
C# is still C#, but the coding patterns that you use in Unity a very different from those you would use for a "normal" application.

For instance, Singletons (a way to have static global classes that are still MonoBehaviours) are largely frowned upon in normal development, but they are very common and useful in Unity.

Also, data encapsulation (having classes keep as much of their internal data as possible private) is paramount in normal development. In Unity however, it is much more common to make data public that you otherwise wouldn't.

Lastly, another good example is constructors (the method that initializes a class' data). You almost never use constructors in Unity (in fact you can't for the most part), but you use them everywhere in normal development.

This is from Unity3d reddit post. In short, it's different.
Am not sure what type of games you did create but if you did create complicated games like cs:go or GTA and not like flappy bird (lol) then you would know that Unity3d c# is different.

In the end what we are trying to achieve is creating plug-ins to enable the Unity3d engine to work with b4x.

So let's stick to that idea. :)

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I've never worked with unity (I am not a games person), but your idea might work...
We see it in the console/PC gaming industry, where the game development industry forces the hardware creators to be more and more "powerful".
Still, if I understand it correctly, you would end up with a bunch of possible "bridging" points (API calls, entry points, what ever you want to call them) without knowing if it will ever have a match in the other side...
If both parties don't agree to the concept, is like a river side town deciding to build half a bridge expecting to force the other side river side town to build the other half... it might never happen !

sfsameer

Licensed User
Longtime User
I've never worked with unity (I am not a games person), but your idea might work...
We see it in the console/PC gaming industry, where the game development industry forces the hardware creators to be more and more "powerful".
Still, if I understand it correctly, you would end up with a bunch of possible "bridging" points (API calls, entry points, what ever you want to call them) without knowing if it will ever have a match in the other side...
If both parties don't agree to the concept, is like a river side town deciding to build half a bridge expecting to force the other side river side town to build the other half... it might never happen !
Yes i 100% agree with you but i think it would really matter to those who are pretty good in vb and either bad or hate c# and java.
-we will develop a proof of concept and post it here and see how it goes :)

sfsameer

Licensed User
Longtime User
You are wanting to make the Unity3D engine usable by a B4X program, right? What about Unreal? 😁
Your question is "Unreal" 😂
Unreal engine is just a whole different world, a lot bigger and better than Unity3d

We will start with the basic first which is unity3d and if we were successful then we will do it with unreal engine as well :)

amorosik

Expert
Licensed User
Being able to use Unity3D from B4X programs would be a big hit
From my point of view, it would be a VERY interesting project

JakeBullet70

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello everyone :)

As you may know Unity3d is the biggest and most known game development platform.

It allows the developer to create a 3d game by importing assets either from 3d max or any other assets creator.
The problem is that this game engine only uses c# and Java, a lot of developers (me included) are asking this engine to include VB but it's just not happening.

If you search Unity3d VB in Google you will get 1 million+ results.

So here is what am thinking, what if my team and I started developing plug-ins and assets to be built in this engine to force it to work with b4x? And only b4x meaning every single developer that is looking to use this engine with VB he/she will have to learn b4x which means a really great marketing method.

*I know b4x is not purely VB but it uses almost the same syntax.

I think showing the world how powerful b4x is by doing this Because it will also target the game creators

What if I told you my daughter is a project manager at Unity. :) https://twitter.com/yecats131?lang=en