B4J Question Use raw SQL or DBUTILS & SQL?

Mikelgiles

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have a application that is a lightweight database app using SQL Server 2008R2 and runs on Windows desktop. My intent is to convert it to run on Windows Desktop, Android, and iPhone so I need to use B4J, B4A, and B4I. I also think I want to use SQLITE instead of a client/server. All of the existing code is in VB6 and uses SQL SERVER. I have a working knowledge of SQL and the existing code uses SQL. My question is........should I use the DBUTILS module and learn the new stuff there or should I use the raw SQL library( jSQL??). Is DBUTILS mainly for those that have no SQL experience or is it a good module to use for someone with moderate experience in SQL. Does the same DBUTILS code work on all three? ( B4J, B4A, and B4I). The database will have three tables. Two of the tables will be very small (less than 100 records of about 20 fields). The third table will have 9 fields and less than 10000 records.

EnriqueGonzalez

Licensed User
Longtime User
.should I use the DBUTILS module and learn the new stuff there or should I use the raw SQL library( jSQL??)

you should learn new technologies, DBUTILS is only 100% useful for sqlite databases.

My question will be: is your app (B4J, B4I and B4A) going to need a central database?
If YES, then... you can use your existing knowledge and SQL SERVER. for B4J you can connect directly to the DB, for B4A and B4I you will need a JRDC Server, that it is actually very easy to use.

If NO, then... you should really try SQlite and DBUtils.

DBUTILS mainly for those that have no SQL experience or is it a good module to use for someone with moderate experience in SQL.

Yes, at the beginning you will feel that DBUTILS + SQLITE is a piece of cake, but the more you code, the more you need to modify DBUTILS and getting it better.

Does the same DBUTILS code work on all three?

YES.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
should I use the DBUTILS module and learn the new stuff there or should I use the raw SQL library( jSQL??)
You should use both. DBUtils is very simple. Go over the code and you will see. It is just a collection of useful queries.

Use DBUtils when it implements the feature you need and use the SQL object directly in other cases.

Upvote 0