Android Question Use tinypng for images or not?

D

Deleted member 30048

Hi, I just discovered the website tinypng.com and it reduced the size of my .png files over 50% of their size.

I tried the reduced app and it works perfectly but I enter these doubts.

Is it completely safe to use tinypng for apps? Will I have some incompatibility with some devices if I use it?

Thanks!

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
All it seem to do is to resample the image with a stripped down version of it... thus creating a small size file.
I think there is no issues using them.

Upvote 0

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi, I just discovered the website tinypng.com and it reduced the size of my .png files over 50% of their size.

I tried the reduced app and it works perfectly but I enter these doubts.

Is it completely safe to use tinypng for apps? Will I have some incompatibility with some devices if I use it?

Thanks!
What it does is explained clearly on the first page of the website:
TinyPNG uses smart lossy compression techniques to reduce the file size of your PNG files. By selectively decreasing the number of colors in the image, fewer bytes are required to store the data. The effect is nearly invisible but it makes a very large difference in file size!
As the result is probably no longer a 24bit PNG, you may face issues (in libGDX for example) but any problem with the image will be immediately noticeable and you will have just to revert to the original file. Personally, all my PNG are compressed in my apps (but not with tinyPNG and with a lossless compression).

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 30048

Yes, I know that the web page transforms a 24bit png to 8bit png. That's the reason of my question.

Could you tell me which tool you use to compress png please?

Thanks!

Upvote 0