B4J Question User friendly way to transfer a file, from computer to phone?

jmon

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,

I have a software that makes a video. I need to transfer that video to a client. I would like that process as user friendly as possible. I'm thinking of several options:

Online:
- Send the file by email (Which is the current solution)
- Upload file to an FTP, show the URL as a QR code to the client
Offline:
- Bluetooth

In the current solution, the email, it's good because it requires minimal input. But to my surprise (i'm getting old I guess), people don't use email ? Teenagers don't even know their email addresses!? :confused:

I would prefer an offline solution. I ask the community because maybe there are other more user-friendly solutions for that. The idea solution would be a button "send it to my phone"! :)

For example, I've seen a photo printer in a shopping mall that work with a Wifi hotspot or something like that. People just connect to that hotspot, go to an IP address and upload the files.
I've seen other apps that use near field I think?

I'd like something similar, but the other way: I need to send a file to their device.

Thanks for your help!

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
- Implement Firebasenotifications in your App (Device-Side)
- Store the registered Users using RDC2 or similar on the server so that you can send a Pushnotification to any user you want.
- Store the video on your server and send a downloadurl /Send a Notification to your app user containing downloadurl).
- When receiving the notification your app can download the file from the URL found in the Notification.

Userinteraction needed: zero

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MarkusR

Licensed User
Longtime User
offline means pc->phone in same network?
the user sit in front of this video app?

Upvote 0

jmon

Licensed User
Longtime User
offline means pc->phone in same network?
the user sit in front of this video app?
Yes that's the set-up. User triggers the camera, makes a video, and then should receive the video on their phone or device.

Userinteraction needed: zero
Thanks, very good idea. But I don't have an external app, I would just like to transmit the file.

Upvote 0

MarkusR

Licensed User
Longtime User
in the same network i think a tcp connection is easy to use. (jetty as web server app seems too much overhead)
i think its not a problem that the user opens the client app by him self. else u would need a service running permanent and thats is often unwanted by users.
wlan routers exist since a long time.

Thanks, very good idea. But I don't have an external app, I would just like to transmit the file.

em u mean without client app? then is a b4j http server app with jetty better.

Upvote 0