Java Question Vertical Scrolling EditText

Roger Garstang

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm having a problem getting an Edit Text created by code (No XML) to work how I expected. It is in a Relative layout and width/height are set to wrap content. My First Requirement was wrapping text which I got with:

B4X:
NewView.setHorizontallyScrolling(false);
NewView.setHorizontalScrollBarEnabled(false);

Once the EditView expands to parent bounds or a MaxEMS it wraps which is great.

Now, I at first wanted to be able to choose MaxLines and have it start out at one line to save space and expand when needed to a max of say 5 lines visible then the rest scrolls internally. This doesn't work at all and the EditText just keeps expanding. Then I tried using SetLines which partially worked by making it 5 lines to start, but still kept expanding.

So, I figured maybe it was that scolling vertical wasn't enabled, but setVerticalScrollBarEnabled(true) caused a Force Close. I found a few more articles that mentioned setting a scroller, so I added setScroller(new Scroller(ba.context)) and now it didn't force close, but still expanded without scrolling.

I've also tried setScrollContainer(true), but I read mixed input on whether it even applies to EditTexts. I even tried setMovementMethod(new ScrollingMovementMethod()), combinations of the above, and all of the above. Nothing stops it from expanding.

I think if I give it a static size it may scroll, but I need to get the proper statements required for this because when I do that now it Force Closes when it hits the bounds with text. Static sizes kind of defeats the purpose of what I'm designing too. I'm a little disappointed MaxLines does nothing, but in reading further it may be more for Singleline wrapping more like a label.

Does anyone know what is needed to make an EditText scroll vertically by code? Standard B4A EditText do it, but they have static sizes. If I can at least get the right combination to scroll at all maybe I can just measure line height or something if it won't stop expanding on its own.

Roger Garstang

Licensed User
Longtime User
Well, I thought I'd be slick since my views also use B4A views within the library and just replace all my calls with:

B4X:
b4aTextbox.setSingleLine(false);
b4aTextbox.setWrap(true);

But, it still expands vertically. So, it looks like I will have to figure this out another way. Android really didn't code their Lines and MaxLines correctly.