Rick Harris

Licensed User
Longtime User
Solution

You can use the following:
Dim TTS1 as TTS
TTS1.SetLanguage("nl","") or
TTS1.SetLanguage("en","") etc.

You must have a good TTS engine installed on your device. I know of the following:
- Google Pico (already installed on most Androids, but limited number of languages)
- SVOX
- Acapela
- Ivona (good free voices, all still in Beta version)
- eSpeak (free, but Robotic voices).

You can find them in the Google Playstore. Be carefull with Ivona who claims to offer Beta voices that are free until the trial expires, but on my device I now get a warning that the trial has indeed expired. However, there is no way yet to officially buy these voices. On other devices it is still possible to install the Beta versions. Svox and Acapela voices I find to be the best.

If you want to programmatically switch from one language to another then I recommend that you use voices from one and the same TTS engine!

I have asked Erel a couple of times for code to switch from (for example) an Svox English voice to an Ivona French voice, but apparently this is technically not (yet) possible. The reason seems to be that these engines are installed at Android OS level.

Also any selected voice (and corresponding engine) instantly becomes the default voice for all apps on your device.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hookshy

Licensed User
Longtime User
Be carefull with Ivona who claims to offer Beta voices that are free until the trial expires
Ivona voice I've been using it for years now ..every 3 month a reset procedure must be followed in order to continue with Ivona voice for free... they
are accepting this fact and inform users to do the reset !!! Ivona is indeed realy great ... it have been no use of not having a paid version if the free versions was locked

Upvote 0