Web install of apk

Rusty

Licensed User
Longtime User
Is there a way to install an APK from a website where the user uses a brand new Android tablet, with no applications installed (other than a browser that came from the factory)
  1. Navigate to a website
  2. touch a hyperlink or href
  3. have the APK file download AND INSTALL
This is similar to download/install from the Market where the user merely clicks an "install" button and it downloads and installs the app without the user having to navigate to the dowload folder and manually install the app.
Thanks in advance.

mc73

Licensed User
Longtime User
While I initially thought this would be quite easy, I discovered that my devices using some browsers, failed to download apk's, while other browsers (firefox for e.g.) downloaded the apk without a problem. I don't know if this is for security reasons, settings, or perhaps my android os version's native browsers (I have 2.3).

Upvote 0

Rusty

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have had no problem downloading the apk from a web; then navigating to the download folder and clicking the apk to cause it to install.
This has worked on Samsung Galaxy; Asus; Acer; Lenovo;...even my Google TV!
I am wanting the install to be a single click (with acceptance of permissions etc. required from the apk install). I just don't want the user to have to have a file manager nor for them to have to use the file manager to go find the apk and install it.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Upvote 0

mc73

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have had no problem downloading the apk from a web; then navigating to the download folder and clicking the apk to cause it to install.
This has worked on Samsung Galaxy; Asus; Acer; Lenovo;...even my Google TV!
I am wanting the install to be a single click (with acceptance of permissions etc. required from the apk install). I just don't want the user to have to have a file manager nor for them to have to use the file manager to go find the apk and install it.
Any ideas?
Thanks
I am not sure, but I think that if the end-user has checked 'allow non-market apps' in his settings, the browser will popup a message for installing the downloaded apk.

Upvote 0

Rusty

Licensed User
Longtime User
I believe 'allow non-market apps' is the same as 'Unknown Sources', which is required to be able to "side-load" non-market apps.
I certainly have this set and the apps do install just fine.
What I'm looking for is the ability to have an "install" button on my website, where someone can click the install button; the app downloads and installs itself; granted, the user will have to OK the installation process, but he/she won't have to go find the .apk and manually install it.
Thanks for the thought though.
Does your tablet have a 'allow non-market apps' option? I haven't seen this on the Android devices I'm working with.
Thanks,

Upvote 0

BarrySumpter

Licensed User
Longtime User
+1

I ran into this just the other day as well.

Using market to install you get an install window (with a click to install button) after download.

On andoird it just downloads. I think its part of the Anroid security policies.

You have to drag the notices curtin down from the top of andriod to see the messages.

One of those notice messages will be the status of the download.

Yes, the user does have to click on that status to install.
(You could have the download and install instructions on the same page as your download.)

Or the user will have to use the Downloads shortcut.
And still have to click on the download to install.

All of these are the standard way Android users should know how to install apps.
(you can also email the .apk)
Even the best of us forget sometimes.

I was thinking that Android should have an auto-install downloads option but didn't find one.

Otherwise, it wasn't worth my time to chase down a way to auto-install something that changes the way android users are accustomed to.
I could have written my own market type install app but the user would have to install it as well. LOL

I'd be very intersted if anyone finds a solution to download and unattended install immediately as well.
But am happy to leave it as is untill then.

hth

Last edited:
Upvote 0